It was ancient and crippled, yet the rarest of treasures I could've been looking for.

"Excuse me? Is everything alright sir?"

"O-Oh, yeah I'm all good thank you." I spoke, looking up at the employee who greeted me. My heart suddenly leapt up, tangled in it's cords while I gazed at the worker in daze. She seemed just as shocked as I was.

"I-Iris?" I choked, getting to my feet. The blood had drained from her face, and I could see the tension along her shoulders.

"W-What are you doing here?" she hissed, those dark brown eyes out staring me like a hawk. She had her hair tied back into a bun and she wore a black polo shirt with the logo of the store. The name tag "Iris" was on the right side of her chest.

I also noticed how the blood returned to her cheeks.

"I was getting a book," I explained, confusing poking me with a pin. "Are you a new worker?"

"Wha- how did-"

"I like coming here."

"O-Oh..." she murmured, crossing her arms with a small nod. Neither of us had the courage to speak up in the silence. I'd be lying to say my face wasn't getting hot, but then again, the rosiness on Iris's cheeks only made me feel more uncomfortable. I'd walk off at this point, but...something had me tied. The thumping in my chest, this was from the embarrassment.

"Y/n, oh my- there you are!"

My gaze shot up to find Mum walking towards us. She was prepared to speak, only for her voice to get caught caught in her throat and her eyes landed between me and Iris. The look on her face was enough to tell the allegations she was fishing up. "Um...I have to go now. It was good to see you, Iris." The only response I got in return was a small nod before I quickly made my way towards th, eyes burning through the back of my head.

"Y/n...who was that young lady?" The thumping in my head deafened Mum's footstep, that I didn't even realise she had caught up to my side.

"A classmate," I grumbled. I didn't have to look at her to see the mischievous glint in her eyes. "Just a classmate?" she questioned.

"Mum, please don't..."

"Don't what?" The cluelessness in her tone was masking her true thoughts. Mum only laughed and wrapped her arm over my shoulder. "My boy has a crush? Wow I would never have guessed!"

"Don't yell it!" I hissed, furious with myself for allowing my cheeks to heat up, "and I don't have a crush on her, I barely know the chick." Her response was an exhaling of sarcastic exasperation. "Don't lie to yourself."

I ignored her after that.

Iris's POV:

"Did you know that boy?" Ella perked up once she served the last customer. Ella was a few years older than I was. Even with a part time job, she took her studies serious, now being in her second year of college. I think it was photography she was doing. She had blonde highlights that would cascade down her shoulders if it weren't for the black claw clip that held her hair back.

Ella was never afraid to swipe up a chat with anybody, being the extrovert you'd expect, making jokes to lighten the mood and not afraid to stand up to and for people. What I really like about Ella is how she is a genuinely caring person to friends and family. A ray of sunlight.

My opposite.

I don't get how we even became friends, I mean, one moment I was hired and working in the bookstore, then the next Ella uses that charm of hers to win me over. I won't lie, but I did feel uncomfortable at first. However, I didn't wanna be like the self I was at school, the kid that never talked to anyone. It's scary but I had to do something about it, I needed to stop being that...person.