About twenty minutes into the meeting your smart watch notifies you of a call coming through, without watching your watch you press the call away. The soft buzzing continues a couple times after, you're starting to get worried but you have big responsibilities at the moment, so you try your best to not show it and press the call away again. Another few calls came in and the rest of the conference room was starting to notice your brow furrow while you continued talking. The client speaks up, "It's okay if you need to get that, it sounds urgent. Shall we take a five minute break?" You look over to your boss who nods, giving you the go ahead. "Thank you, Sir." You direct towards your client, before grabbing your phone and walking out of the room.

Six missed calls from Alessia and four from Leah. This can't be good, you think before dialing Alessia's number, your stomach drops when she doesn't answer. You try Leah next, she answers almost immediately. "Hey, Y/n, sorry I know you had work today." You're too worried to listen to her properly, "Leah, what's going on?" Wanting to get straight to the point, as you start pacing the hallway. "I'm at the hospital with Alessia, she broke her ankle and needs surgery. She won't go under until she sees you though, is there any way you can-" Leah gets interrupted, "Yes, mate, I'm talking to Y/n right now, give me one moment." You hear her say to a whiny Alessia. "Sorry, Alessia is trying to take the phone from me. Ehm what was I saying? Oh yeah, if you're able to, can you please come to the hospital?"

You looked over to the conference room, signaling for your boss. "Give me one second, I'll call you right back." You tell Leah. Your boss closes the door behind her and walks your way, "Is everything okay?" You shake your head in frustration, wanting to be there for Alessia but also not wanting to be professional and continue the meeting. "Alessia, my best friend, was just admitted to the hospital and needs surgery." Before you can explain the rest of your situation she interrupts you. "Okay, then you need to go to the hospital and be there for her." Your boss nudges you back into the conference room. "Y/n needs to leave, there's been a family emergency." She informs the clients. "Yes, I am sorry to leave like this but you are in excellent hands." You look around your team. You hand your notes to one of your coworkers, "Here are my notes, you're in charge. Text me if you need anything, but I believe in you all."

With your laptop in hand, you walk to your desk quickly. You call Leah back like you promised. "Hey, tell Less that I'm on my way." You hear Leah tell your best friend, you hear a faint, "Give me the phone." before you hear Leah's voice again, "Lessi wants to talk to you, I'm going to hand the phone over. Keep in mind that she's pretty drugged up right now." She warns you.

"Y/n," Alessia whines on the other end of the line. "are you almost here?" Like Leah warned you, you could hear in the way Alessia was slurring her words that she had a lot of pain medications, which meant that she was in a lot of pain. "Hi Lessi, I'm just getting in my car but I'll be there soon, okay?" Alessia gasps, "What's wrong?" You're instantly worried again. "Please don't hang up, I need you." You release the breath you were holding, "I'm not going anywhere." You continue talking to her, "How are you feeling, Stargirl?" You loved teasing her with the nickname, since she wasn't a fan of it, secretly she loved when you used it though. "Hmm I told you not to call me that. It hurts but the medicine is helping." You smile at her response to the nickname. "Why don't you just get your surgery done, sweetheart? I'll be there when you get out."

Alessia had the phone on speaker, so Leah was listening along. She shakes her head with a knowing smile when she hears you call her sweetheart, and the blush on Alessia's cheeks gives her even more proof that her teammate was head over heels for you. "Because I need to see you before surgery?" You furrow your brow, "Why is that?" The drugged up girl starts rambling and slurring over her words in the process but from what you are able to catch, she's saying that she needs to see you before in case she doesn't wake up. "Oh Lessi, baby, it's ankle surgery. It is ankle surgery, I think you're going to be fine when it comes to that." Alessia starts shaking her head, not that you could see it of course, "Still, I want to see you before." You give up on trying to convince her, "Okay, I will be there in just ten minutes. What room are you in?" Leah is the one to answer that question.

It isn't until you knock on her hospital room, and make eye contact with her, that you hang up the phone. You're by her side in just a few steps, taking her face in your hands before bringing her in for a hug. Leah said a quick hello before she went to get a nurse, clearly done with Alessia's stubbornness and wanting to get her to her surgery. Alessia starts sobbing in your arms, you stroke her back, "It's all going to be okay, I've got you." You manage to calm her down before Leah arrives back with the nurse, who's ready to take Alessia to the operating room. Alessia reaches out for your hand, with a worried look in her eyes. You give her hand a quick squeeze and place a kiss on her cheek. "You'll be alright. I will be right here when you get back." You assured her.

You keep checking your phone for any updates from work. "Everything alright?" Leah asks when she notices. "Yeah, it's fine. I just had to walk out of a pretty important meeting to get here, so I am awaiting a text from my boss or one of my coworkers updating me on it." Leah sends an apologetic look your way, "I'm sorry I called you out of there, I hope you won't get in any trouble over it." You think back on how adamant your boss was on you leaving, "Oh, no, don't worry about that. My boss practically told me to go to the hospital right away."

Back when you started at UNC you didn't know anyone, seeing as you moved continents to go to your dream college. Within your first week there you met Alessia, you bonded instantly after realizing you grew up only a few blocks away from each other. After college you both moved back to the UK, finding a place together in London. Ever since, you've had soccer all around you, Alessia often having some teammates over. You didn't mind one bit though, her friends were yours, and visa versa. That's also how you met Leah a few years ago, when she and Alessia started playing for England together. So, it was nice catching up with Leah while awaiting Alessia's return.

It doesn't take too long for Alessia to get back from surgery. The three of you spend time in the hospital room together. Alessia was coming down from the high dose of pain medication, feeling a lot more like herself, though still rather upset that she would be out for a couple months. Your phone rings, and your watch displays your boss her name, "Sorry, I have to take this real quick." You say as you excuse yourself from the room. Your boss called to let you know that the meeting went great, and that the client was very impressed with the work you and the team delivered. Of course, she also asked how things were with Alessia, to which you responded that her surgery went well and that you were waiting until she would be discharged.

"Update on the meeting?" Leah asks when you walk back in the room. "Yeah, she said it went well, and that the client was happy, so that's a big relief." Alessia looks between the two of you with a furrowed brow. "You left before the meeting was over?" You nod, "You needed me, Less, of course I did." She stayed quiet for a moment, letting your response settle in. "You must really love me, to miss the biggest meeting of your career." She finally says. You smile at her before sitting down, "I do." You say under your breath, not intending for anyone to hear it. Alessia did hear you though, she quickly looks over to Leah to see if she actually heard it or if she was just imagining it. Leah looks back at her with a smirk on her face, which is enough for Alessia to realize you had actually said it. "You love me?"

Your eyes shoot up to her nervously, the nerves leaving as soon as you see the shine in her eyes, and the smile on her face. "Of course I love you, Less. I have loved you for a long time." Her smile grows impossibly bigger, "I have loved you for a long time as well." Alessia sends Leah a look, which she understands instantly. "Yeah, I've got to go check on something. I will be back." The defender says, before quickly making her way out of the room. You take it as your queue to sit down on the bed with Alessia, going in for a hug instantly. "Couldn't have told me that years ago, Russo?" You joke. "Hey, you could've done it yourself." You laugh with each other, before Alessia leans in to kiss you. It was soft and sweet, it was everything you had hoped it would be.

When Leah comes back in and sees you cuddled up together on the bed, she mumbles a 'finally' under her breath, before waving some papers in the air. "I just signed your discharge papers, let's get you out of here." You first drop off Leah at her home, and then continue your drive home with Alessia. The girl was extra clingy that evening, which you absolutely adored.

The next couple of weeks you often find yourself in the car with Alessia, driving her to her physio appointments. You had been working from home most days since her injury, grateful that you were able to do so. Being able to take care of your girlfriend was very important to you, and of course Alessia loved having you home so much.