Chapter 2: Erica's Birthday

Start from the beginning

"Only by a month," Donnie said defensively.

"Good for you, Erica," Fez said, patting Erica on the shoulder.

"Good for me what?" Erica asked.

"In my country, it is good luck to fall in love with an older man."

"Fez!" Erica exclaimed in embarrassment, Donnie holding his head in his hands.

"No, they come with livestock," Fez smiled, clueless.

Hyde smirked. Dear, dear Fez.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

The next morning, Erica walked into the kitchen to see his dancing mother. Lifting her eyes up in embarrassment, she went for the fridge, only to have it slammed shut by Kitty. Erica pursed her lips at her obvious mother, going for the cupboard for a cereal bowl, only to have the same thing happen, but not before catching a glimpse of huge potato chip bags. Erica begged her to not throw her a party, Red agreeing with her, but she only replied with a flustered, "There is no party!"

"Look, I know money is tight, so I don't wanna have a big party," Erica said.

"I'll decide when money is tight," Red quipped, "Now, what do you want? Don't worry about the cost, as long as it's reasonable."

"Okay," Erica said, "I would like a cassette player for the car. A cassette, not an 8-track, cassette. Not an 8-track tape player. I don't want one."

"Then you won't get one," Red quipped.

"Oh, but, honey, she wants one," Kitty said.

"No," Erica said, "I want a tape player, just not an 8-track."

"You'll get the Del-co," Red smiled, "A genuine GM part for a genuine GM car."

"It doesn't matter, it's just for music."

"See, there's your first mistake. Parts have to be compatible, Erica," Red narrowed his eyes, "You're not burning cheap gas in that car, are you?"

"No, sir," Erica stuttered, "Well, I'm going out."

"Oh, honey, could you run to the store, get a large can of frosting and fifteen small bags of M n'Ms, plain, not peanuts," Kitty said, handing her some cash.

"Why?" Erica questioned slowly.

"They're for your sister," Kitty quipped.

Erica shook her head.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

"So," Jackie quipped, watching some of the boys play basketball, "What're you gonna get Erica for her birthday?" She hoped no one noticed the slight blush that marred her face when she got a nice view of Steven's stomach when his shirt flipped from jumping up and dunking the ball.

Speaking of Steven... he's been a lot more quiet and moodier than he usually is. Why can't he ever tell me anything?

"I don't know," Donnie said, eyebrows furrowing, "Nothing seems right. I wanna give her something... special."

"She kissed you!" Jackie exclaimed happily.

"Shhh!" Donnie hissed.

"Donnie. In the car. Now," Jackie ordered before settling in the passenger seat, Donnie going to the driver's side.

"Okay. What happened?"

"Jackie, I'm not gonna talk to you about this."

"Oh. Who else are you going to talk to?"