secrets of a spiral | 7

Start from the beginning

The lighting was dim and they were seated in the finest table offered. there was a bouquet of poppies, baby's breath and greens on her seat, rose petals decorating the table and candles in the center.

"This place is so nice!" Poppy geeked softly, not trying to disturb the live jazz band playing. "I told you to stop spoiling me!" she blushed and rolled her eyes as he pulled her chair out, handing her the bouquet of flowers.

"I never said i promised." he flashed a charming smile and kissed her hand. His voice was smooth and gentle, and to be honest she was very into the accent.
A waiter came to their table with a bottle of something and Poppy grimaced.
He poured the two lovers' cups and swiftly left.

"I asked them for sparking grape juice." Creek whispered. "I know you don't like to drink, love." he lifted his glass to hers.

"Cheers." she smiled ear to ear.

The dinner went swimmingly, they laughed and drank and ate all the pasta they could've dreamed of.
Their night was nearing it's end and as the waiter left to fetch Poppy's pizookie and Creek's vegan sherbet, he seemed anxious.

"Poppy, there's something I've been meaning to ask you." the beats in his heart were going godspeed. He let out one last sigh before he reached for her hand and stood up. the band was alerted of this before they arrived so they began to set the scene with smooth romantic jazz.
"You've changed my life for the better. I can't honestly remember how I was ever happy without you. you're the light of my life, and I truly believe that the spirits say, we're made for each other."

He held both of her hands and slowly, kneeled on his left knee and reached for a small red box in his suit pocket.
"Princess Poppy," he began. "Will you make me the happiest troll alive and have me as your prince?" he opened the box to reveal a beautiful shining diamond ring, encased in a 24 karat gold band.

Her mouth went dry, and her face turned every color of the rainbow. Her ears stuck straight up and all eyes were on her, but she thought strategically. She couldn't say no and embarrass him like that, but she wasn't ready to be married yet. they're only 23.
She didn't respond, just smiled and hugged him tightly. The restaurant erupted in cheers, he let out a sigh of relief and stood back up, kissing her lovingly with his hands on her waist.
The band played happy upbeat music and the waiter came back with a small white cake that said in pink icing, "Congrats to the Newlyweds!"

"Can we take this to go?"

She and Creek headed out in silence. The diamond glistened on her finger, the jacket to his suit draped over her shoulders.
"Creek," she began and stopped walking. "I-I don't know if I can do this." she admitted tearfully.

"What?" he had a confused smile. "But you-? I... Poppy. you know we're meant to be." he grabbed her hands, rather aggressively. "We could announce our royal engagement to everyone at the party tomorrow! Please, Poppy! I love you more than life itself." he begged, his breathing became hard and fast, she could feel his hands shaking. "We can go wherever you'd like for our honeymoon! mount rageous? we can leave the country!"

"Creek, you know i love you..." she began to feel unsettled by his urgency and let go of his hands. "I'm just not ready to be married yet! we're so young..." Poppy's eyes welled. "I still want to be with you, but i'm not ready for this." she slid the ring off her finger and placed it in his hands, closing his fingers over it.

"But..." his expression fell.

"I can't marry you, Creek." her hand reached up to his face, she caressed his cheek. His deep brown skin was warm and soft.
"Not now..." she whispered with a soft grin. he was shaking.

His eyes finally met hers. They were teary and sad, just as how Branch is looking at her now.

~

Poppy finished retelling her story, not noticing the tears streaming down her face. Branch pulled her close for a hug. She melted into his arms immediately. Suddenly it felt like a weight lifted off her shoulders.
Finally being able to talk about creek with him felt so relieving. It was the biggest secret she'd ever hid from him and now there's nothing keeping them apart.

"I'm sorry Viva had to be the one to tell you." she said shakily, her cheek smushed against his shoulder. He drew circles against her back.

"She said that too." he chuckled and they shared a laugh. "No more secrets now, okay?"
Poppy nodded. He held her face gently in front of him. "okay?"

"Okay." she nodded.

He let her back on his shoulder. "I know this thing with Creek must've been a lot. I know you're still hurting."

"This really helped." she wiped the streams off her face. "But what he did was unforgivable, and I still can't accept it."

"I know..." he held her tighter, planting kisses on her hair. She smelled like candy and flowers. "He wasn't a good person, but he loved you."

She simply nodded. "He did." a comfortable pause set between them. "Why did you ask Viva?" she drew lines on his chest with her nails.

"You remember the night where I invited you to come watch dress rehearsal? While I was leaving, I heard barb talking about how you wanted more, and it kinda made me spiral." he cleared his throat. "That's why I pulled you up on stage, to give you more. After the show I went to Viva for more answers and she told me the truth."

Poppy nodded. "Why did nobody let me see you?" she closed her eyes in the nape of his neck. She wasn't instigating anymore, just asking questions.

Branch laughed. "I spiraled and threw up everywhere and fainted because I was so insane about you." he blushed.

"Oh my gosh!" Poppy laughed, looking at him with a wide mouth. "I'm so sorry!" she kept laughing, jumping up on his lap and hugging him tightly.

"No, no, it's okay! I'm just sensitive!" he laughed harder.

-