Greed Equals Justice

Start from the beginning

That was all it took for the Matsumura's to have an additional guest joining them on a trip to Hokkaido; well, along with François who's obliged to follow wherever the young master goes. Shortly after landing at the New Chitose airport, a private driver took them on a 2-hour drive to Biei, where Ryusui was welcomed with the splendour of the humble cottage abode to the elderly couple, nesting in the mirth of green along with the other cottages owned by farmers and retirees from the city. It was a little odd, in the eyes of the Nanami heir, to see a pair of Matsumura elites amongst the common people, as often birds of the same feathers would flock together. But perhaps this was what the family had wanted, he thought, seeing how comfortable and free Rikona and her parents were the moment they stepped foot into the wooden house. Even Mr Matsumura's stern appearance melted when he saw his parents' home when they were mere metres away in the white Sedan. Ryusui hadn't been here for a day; yet, he felt comfortably at home in this village, away from the bustling city and the daily reminders of their wealth and privileges.

"So this is Ryu-kun," cooed the elderly lady who approached him with a warm smile. "Ri-chan always talks about the adventures you and her have gone on. Thank you for looking after and spending time with our granddaughter."

"It's nothing, Mrs Matsumura," assured the boy with a courteous bow. "I always look forward to my time with Ri."

"Well, well," drawled the elderly man, giving the boy a playful grin. "Looks like we have another charmer here. I hadn't been expecting the Nanami boy to be as attached to our Rikona as that Asagiri boy."

'Asagiri?' Ryusui glanced at the girl, alarmed. But the latter wasn't as fazed, too occupied with the afternoon tea her grandmother brought out on a tray.

"Hush, dear," she scolded playfully. "You're only making the poor boy jealous. But what can I say? Our Ri-chan has always been attractive to the boys. I can foresee her wedding getting closer than I'd anticipated."

Strangely, the ever-so-excitable and confident boy who's known to have and desire everything remained silent. All he could hear was the pounding of his heart, accompanied by the heat engulfing his ears.

"I believe that's not something you should be encouraging, Mother," grumbled the girl's father, hanging up his brown Tommy Hilfiger jacket on the garment rack near the oak door. "Remember the reason why we brought him and his butler along in the first place."

"Let Mother have her fun, darling," giggled Mrs Matsumura, whose voice then lowered as she continued. "I think it's adorable to see Ryusui trying and learning new things because of our Rikona."

"The same goes for you, love."

"What are you standing there daydreaming for?" The said boy snapped his head towards where the voice came from. Standing before him was Rikona with a raised brow. "Come on, let's try the buns Grandma made. Her milk tea is also tasty."

"O-Oh..." was all he could say, as he let her drag him to the dining area. As the two sat next to each other, they marvelled at the basket of pastries placed on the centre of the wooden table. Ryusui could feel himself salivating at the aroma of the freshly baked pastries.

"What do want to eat?" asked the girl.

"All of them!" he replied, earning a deadpanned stare from Rikona.

"I highly doubt you can finish them. Anyways, we can start with the brioche, sfogliatella, and chocolate bun."

"Whatever you're having, I want all of it!"

"What are those?" questioned Kohaku, hearing Ryusui shouting them out with glee and anticipation. "Names of your ultimate kill moves?"

"No one is making such fancy bread," deadpanned Senku. "What we need is long-lasting food. We're making hardtack."