One

The day of the crash was one of the last days marley spoke to Cole. She didn't know why.

It didn't help how both their parents were best friends.

It was a Sunday, the two families day for a weekly dinner together. Cole and Marley used to sit next to each other during the dinners, always laughing at something and talking privately between one another. Now they sat at opposite ends of the table.

Cole was different after the crash. He was colder. The sparkle that used to remain present in his eyes was no longer there.

He went through months of rehabilitation to gain control of his leg again. That meant he was never really around. Any time he was actually at the house, he spent the day in his bedroom, door locked.

Katherine began putting out the platters of food onto the table, all her hungry sons immediately jumping to it.

Once everyone was sat down, Katherine made an announcement. "So, as all of you know, Jackie howard is coming to live with us all the way from New York."

Marley was told about the tragic accident that happened with her parents and sister. She felt horrible about it.

"I want you all to remember what trauma she has went through these past few months, so I expect you all to be kind to her." The woman continued, shooting a stern look at all her children.

"New York isn't gonna know what hit her." Cole joked, earning a laugh from Jordan and Issac. Marley watched him closely, and he couldn't even look at her. Not even a glance.

Did he blame her for what happened?

"Cole, I'm serious. You're one of the oldest. I'm expecting you to make her feel at home." His father warned.

"I'll make her feel at home alright." He said under a hushed breathe to Issac. No one else heard it, but marley did. She felt a pang go through her heart, and she didn't know why.

Marley had grew quite close with coles twin brother, danny. She often came to the house to see him. Cole hated it. And he didn't know why.

Once dinner was over, the Walter family walked the Hunters out to their car, bidding them all a goodbye.

Marley went through each one of them, giving them a hug and thanking all of them for having her and her family over. Cole hung back, watching her hug his family.

The two teenagers made eye contact for a split second, but then they both looked away, acting like it didn't happen.

——

Today was the day that Jackie howard was arriving at the Walter house.

Marley decided to pick out flowers from the multiple rows that her mother had grew from their front garden as a kind gesture.

By the time marley had gotten to the Walter house, it was already bustling with people. She weaved her way through the house in attempt to try find the Howard girl.

"Danny, hey!" She called out, noticing him in the kitchen. "Oh, hey, marley." The boy smiled.

"Is Jackie around?"

"She's upstairs in her room." Alex finished the sentence for danny, a slightly disappointed look covering his face.

When marley made her way up to the girls room, she knew why Alex was so disappointed.

There stood Cole, pressed up against the girls doorway. Of course, the cole effect began to work on Jackie. Marley knew this by the way the girl was blushing and giggling softly at whatever the boy had been saying.