01

"Hey buddy," Ethan sat softly in the grass and dried leaves as he spoke gently, "I never thought it would come to this."
A soft black sweater met the waistband of his black jeans, leading into his calf-length black socks, then finally full black converse shoes. Ethan hadn't always worn all black, but his best friend was dressed in all white. They completed each other.
"I dyed my hair blonde for you, buddy. I know how badly you wanted to match." The ghost of a smirk brushed the corners of Ethan's lips for only a moment, knowing his best friend had never wanted to match like this, but they would be complete opposites forever now. Ethan met his freshly bleached hair with his fingertips and for a moment he melted away, wishing anything could change.
"Spencer misses seeing you around. I heard Chica misses me too but I can't bring myself to see her." Ethan smiled, but his smile felt forced so he stopped. "Maybe when the time is right."
Ethan's hands tightened around six fresh roses, all black and tied with a white ribbon. The thorns stabbed into his palms. He had always said to leave them on, as they were part of the beauty of a rose.
"I brought you flowers. I know you liked red but I hope these are okay." He sighed. "It's all too fresh in my mind, you know? I didn't want to see you today, but I wouldn't miss it for the world."
Orange and yellow leaves danced around the man, fallen earlier from the tree above him. A red leaf landed in his lap, replacing the flowers he gave to his best friend.
"Hey, I have to go now. I'll be back soon buddy, okay?"