Chapter 14; 'Go Get 'Em, Tiger'

Peter landed with his feet firmly on the ground and quickly whipped his mask off as he moved cautiously towards Gwen. Her body hung from his web at an unnatural angle and as he unhooked her, she fell limply into his arms. As he lowered himself to the ground, he swept her blonde hair from her eyes and grabbed her face firmly but gently. Blood trickled from her nose and her eyes remained closed, showing no signs of life. His panic was silent at first, but as he desperately tried to hold onto her, it crept up on him.

"No, please… please!"

It didn't matter how much he pleaded, he knew that he'd already lost her, but it didn't stop him.

"Peter…"

Startled by the sound of his name bouncing off the empty walls, his head jerked up and he laid his blurry eyes upon Captain Stacy standing over him. He swallowed, knowing what was coming; a reprimanding over his broken promise.

"I- I- I'm sorry, I didn't mean to break my promise. I couldn't-"

Captain Stacy put his finger to his lips, silencing Peter, who trembled as he struggled to recompose himself. He drew in a deep breath, and waited on the former to speak.

"You have nothing to apologize for, Peter."

"But I- I've been so wrong, I broke the promise that I made to you as you were dying and now… she's gone too." He choked.

"This isn't real… I mean, it is but it's not now."

"What?"

"Do you think I would be standing here if you were back in this moment?"

"I don't understand…"

"This is a memory, Peter. It's the only way I could reach you."

"So this is… you are…" He attempted to speak, but his words kept escaping him.

"Call it a dream if you will and call me a ghost if you like, but yes… we are in your head." Captain Stacy explained.

"Why?" He asked. "Why would you even talk to me? You hate me, and for a very good reason."

"You have it all backwards, I don't hate you. I've never hated you."

Peter's breathing began to steady, but his mind continued to race with thoughts. Memories, all the words that had been spoken and the promise that he had been broken. Captain Stacy's words added to his confusion.

"All I wanted was for Gwen to be safe, in fact I may have been putting her safety above her happiness a little too much." He added.

"But I-"

"Yes, you broke your promise but I do not hold it against you. I forgive you for breaking your word, because I see that I was wrong. You have managed to keep her safe, and there isn't a soul I would trust more to do so."

"Wow…" Peter whispered. "I don't know what to say."

"However, I do ask that you make me one last promise."

"I can't promise that I'll stay away from her or anything…"

"I am not asking you to, Peter. All I ask is that you continue to keep her safe, and that you don't hurt her. In my eyes, she will always be my little girl, but I accept that she has taken control of her own life. But promise me that this…" He paused, gesturing to the scene around them. "Will never come close to happening again, and that you will continue to put a smile on her face every day."