One

The Opposite of Lost

Pairing: Josh Kiszka x Female OC

a/n: So this is my first fic ever, and I'm super nervous to post but here goes :) It's set in highschool and will be nothing more than fluff, I'm sorry if that upsets you. Although I love and respect our incredible smut writers, I am unfortunately not one of them :( Anyway, back to the story. The premise is 'new girl with secrets meets sweet boy' - very sappy and overdone but whatever. If you like John Denver, I can promise great things for you in this fic ;) This story is a complete slow burn told mostly by Josh's pov after the first chapter. Also, I'm Aussie so if I get anything wrong to do with American slang, school and spelling please forgive me! I hope you enjoy :)

We will reach a bit of domestic abuse in a few chapters so please be cautious!

Chapter One

☾ ⋆・゚:⋆ Joshua

I caught sight of a pair of dungarees ahead in the trail, and watched carefully as she walked barefoot towards us. I looked to the ground for a moment while she came close, not wanting to stare, though I turned my head to her as she passed with a shy smile.

"I swear she's always here when we are," I whispered to Jake once she was out of earshot. "It's almost like she's following us."

"I guess." Jake said absentmindedly, continuing up the hill. But I turned to watch her for a moment, squinting to see her track off the side of the trail and disappear into the woods. My sudden urge to follow her was interrupted by Jake looking back from a ways in front, "Someone in love over here?" At that, I ran back uphill to shove my brother.

We saw her a bunch that week, though I seemed to be the only one to notice the way she was always going off the trails, or how she would be sitting on a boulder on the next hill over when we reached the summit of our usual trail.

I had finally convinced my brothers to explore beyond the trails, and we'd decided to go into the valley that was surrounded by a loop hiking track so we'd be able to find our way out easily. As we reached the ridge, I spotted a clearing around the middle of the valley along the riverbed.

"That's gotta be our goal," Sam said, pointing exactly where I was looking. We all grinned in agreement before setting off with a joyful huff.

*❀。• ₊°。Rosemary

Shedding my overalls and crop top, I plunged into the chilly river water in my bikini. I swam a little around the pool and ended up wading right to the small waterfall where I sat on my special little rock, just as I had everyday since I moved here. It was so perfect here, the waterfall singing its everlasting song while I sat in the sun, perfectly warm enough to tolerate the sprinkle of water from the waterfall. The wash of sound was able to fade out the distant calls and laughter I heard earlier, presumably from the three boys I passed once again today.

I furrowed my brows as that laughter seemed to come back, and upon realisation, my head snapped across to those very boys peeking through the tree line. "Woah," The tallest said, standing still at the side of the river, far from the waterline, "Guess we're not the first to find this place after all Jake." Concerned and confused looks plastered their faces. "Should we go up to her? Maybe we should leave.." he asked.

"Dude no! I didn't hike all this way for nothing!" 'Jake' said

"Well what do we say?" The first retorted.

"It's not like we have to ask permission!" I chuckled at their bickering.

"It kinda feels like we do... she did find it fi—"