Laurence

Larry

I sat on the couch as my mom read the paper aloud like every night. I had been working silently in order to not gain my fathers attention. My pencil scribbled over my college forms, and the slight smile on my face never faltered in the slightest.

When Mom finished reading she went to clean as always, except strangely Dad sat on his chair, awake. Not only was he awake, but he was staring at me.

"What you workin' on son?"

"Nothin'." His brows furrowed knowing There was no way I could tell him. That I was lying. Then he stood from his chair, and took the application forms right from under my hands.

Never once had I been so happy that he could not read. However, I suppose he must know a word or two because he then asked, "Why in tarnation do you have an application for Stanford?"

"Well you see I was hopin' I might be able to go." My hands were shaking from my nervousness.

"Boy, you don't need college to work on a farm! And I for sure ain't paying a darn single penny for you to go learn nonsense." I was fuming.

"It ain't nonsense Dad." I murmured.

"Speak up boy! I can't understand one word you sayin."

"I said it ain't nonsense! I don't wanna work on this farm Dad. I'm tired of all this. I wanna be a businessman." He slammed his fist against the coffee table, and I could see my sister and mother jump from inside the kitchen.

"Hell, not with my money you ain't" Mom finally came out of the kitchen. She grabbed his hand, and led him to sit back on his chair. She then began to whisper sweet nothings to him to calm him down like she always does when he blows his top.

"Maria, I'm his father. He lives under my roof. He should do what I tell him to! Gosh darn it!"Mom gave me a pleading look to just walk away, so I retired to my room.

Just as my eyes were about to close I heard the creak of my door, and saw my mom enter. She sat on the edge of the bed where I lied.

She brushed my unruly hair as she used to do whenever I was upset as a child. She then told me, "Larry, you must understand. He grows older, and has no other son but you to work the farm, and watch over us. He is just scared and confused to say the least. Your father only wants what he thinks is right, and I know the same goes for you. Give him time though. Allow him to realize that in the end it is your life, and it is your choice how the story goes."

The way she spoke made me really begin to understand. Even with English being her second language she had this way with her words. You could almost tell that she thought about every little thing before she said it. She somehow just always knew what to say. I could see why my dad loved her so much, and sometimes I can even tell why she loves him just as he does her. They balance each other. Like light and dark or rain and sun. One without the other is okay, but together you are able to appreciate the other much more, and it brings so much more beauty.

The next day I found out that my dad had for sure not bought a ticket with us on the Stanford train. In other words, like he said he doesn't understand this nonsense, and will not pay a single penny to help me go. So this led me to be in search of a job.

I drove to town that same very day. As I was there I passed by Jodie. She was known absolutely everywhere. If you hadn't heard her name at least once the chances where you lived under a rock. All the guys wanted her too. I mean who wouldn't she is stunning. Jodie's blonde-red hair fell down her back in loose curls. She sat at a table with a book in one hand and a cone of ice cream in the other.

How I would love to talk to her, but I knew surely I could never. Her friends or family would only laugh at me, and I cannot take any more discouragement.