"How old are you, Katie?"

Katie looked down at her fingers and began counting. "I'm almost six." She held up her fingers.

Madeline smiled at the girl slightly and shook her head. "Well i think you're the smartest six year old i've ever met." She raised her eyebrows.

Katie grinned proudly and continued eating. "Are you going to stay?" She asked. Maddie tilted her head. "What d'ya mean, Katie?" Madeline asked, using her fingers to push Katie's hair away from her face.

The young girl focused on her food. "It's just, i want to see dad happy." She said, humming. "And i think if you stay, he will be very happy."

Madeline listened to the girls words carefully and pursed her lips into a straight line. To change the subject, she took Katie's empty place and stood.

"You go and get ready for bed— i'll be in to say goodnight in a moment." Madeline said quietly, placing the plate beside the sink.

Katie nodded in agreement and skipped off to her bedroom, leaving Madeline alone in the kitchen. She placed her fingers on her lips for a moment, thinking.

She glanced at the clock and began wondering when John would come home.

Deciding to shake it off, Madeline did as she said and went to say goodnight to Katie. And to her surprise, she was somehow already asleep and tucked into bed.

Maddie smiled slightly and walked into her and John's bedroom, tilting her head when she saw two piles of clothes. "Maria?" She shouted, "what's all this?"

Maria appeared and took a breath. "Mr Shelby had them dropped off earlier today— night clothes and day clothes." She told her. Madeline smiled slightly and thanked her with a nod.

Her hands trailed over the light blue fabric that had lace lining the top.

Madeline heard the door slam and quickly turned around to see who'd come trailing from the house — which was stupid because it could only be John.

"Mads?" He called out, hanging his jacket up. Mads. She peered her head around the door. John smiled at her slightly, "you're still awake?"

"Yeah— Katie's only just gone to sleep." She told him. John hummed and walked to her, carefully cupping her cheeks before placing a kiss on her lips.

She wanted to pull away and ask 'what on earth are you doing?' because it felt so strange for him to do that. Yes they were married but it wasn't often he'd kiss her— especially on the lips.

Madeline could taste the alcohol on his lips.

John pulled his head back and gave her a messy smile. "You look fucking gorgeous— you do, you look gorgeous!" He slurred his words, his eyebrows raised as he spoke.

Maddie laughed at him and tried to pull away.

"Ey, where ya going?" John's voice went high pitched as he kept hold of her. "No no, come on. Come 'ere." He took a breath, "come on, come here." She could hardly understand him.

John pressed a finger to her shoulder and dragged it slowly up to the back of her neck, holding her close. "You're drunk," Madeline whispered, feeling his breath against her skin as her heart pounded.