“Eve?” Tristan whispers. “If you’re somewhere in there, now would be the time to make an appearance. I’m going to need your help.”

“She’s ignoring you.” And me. Stop sulking and take control. We have much bigger things to worry about than your hurt feelings. I can’t run as fast as you. Tristan needs your help.

The strangeness of this situation—that I’m trying to coax Eve to take control—doesn’t escape me. Nor does the fact that I’m speaking to her without my usual apprehension. Eve is afraid of what I might do to her, but I’ve always been afraid of what she is. Now that I understand her better, I hope I’m a little more prepared for her.

Which is why I don’t expect her to be able to surprise me.

I should let them capture you, she says.

I’m not the only one they’re after. You have to fight them if you want to stay alive, too.

“What is she saying?” Tristan demands.

I feel her gloating. Why is she gloating?

Now that you know everything about me, it’ll be difficult to eclipse you. I should let the Trackers do that for me, and then make my escape before they kill me. Seems like better odds than fighting you myself.

The Trackers have resumed walking. They’re close enough now that I can make out details of their appearances. I gasp and duck behind Tristan, bolts of shock darting through me.

Daniel. He’s not guarding his uncle’s manor anymore.

He’s out here, hunting Twice Born.

My fear breaks me. Eve, don’t do this. Please. You’ll get us both killed. And even if we live through this, Daniel will know what I am. I can’t keep undoing every bit of progress I make with him. Not that I’ll make any progress with him after this if he catches me.

If you want me to run so that your precious Daniel won’t see your face, it will cost you.

“What?” I hiss. “What will getting you to run away cost me?”

Tristan rolls his eyes. “Typical Eve. Forget her. When I say go, I want you to run as fast as you can. Do you understand me?”

“I can’t.” Not in my condition. I won’t be able to outrun any of them.

I want to emerge tomorrow morning. As soon as you wake, I want you to use your power until you are weak enough to allow me to join you.

I make a strangled noise. Now she wants the day, too?

Your choice. But you won’t live to see daylight if you refuse.

Daniel can’t see me.

I agree.

You will keep your promise?

You know that I will. You can see it in my thoughts. I learned how to block my thoughts from her mind. Identify the exact point where I end and she begins. Mentally form a partition that closes off everything about me. Maintain that barrier constantly, as it gets weaker with every moment that passes.

But I don’t have the time or energy to try it out now. No doubt Eve intends to reform her barrier, too, once she regains her strength. We’re allies for now, but once the sun comes up, there are no guarantees beyond this promise I’ve made to her.

“Tristan?” Eve says, pushing to the forefront. I’m more than happy to let her take over. She glances over Tristan’s shoulder; the men are now fifty paces away. “Ready to run?”

Twice Bornजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें