16. on dustin's mother

ON DUSTIN'S MOTHER

ON DUSTIN'S MOTHER

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ Gina pulls into a driveway, muttering something about how this is the fifth house Steve has taken them to. Putting the car in park, Gina looks at the address on the house. 2121, and they're on Holland Road, so this better be the right one.

Gina and Robin exit their car as Dustin begins to pass out flashlights to everyone.

After conversing a little, Dustin walks up to the front door, everyone else following suit. He rings the doorbell and waits silently for an answer.

Nothing.

He rings it again.

Nothing.

Again.

No answer.

"I don't think he's here," Stephanie whisper yells, grabbing Dustin's arm.

Gina lets out a puff of air, biting the inside of her lip again, wincing when she hits a sore spot; she's been biting it too often. She should probably stop. But then she'd seem as though she's giving into the 'coping methods' Ms. Kelley suggests. That can't happen.

"Eddie! It's Dustin!"

Gina bites down harder as Dustin's yells get louder. She doesn't actually know if she wants to find Eddie or not. If they don't, he'll probably show up sooner or later and everything will go back to normal. If they do, and Dustin is right about everything, life could change in a matter of days, and Gina isn't ready for that yet. Too much has happened these last few months, and she prays nothing else could make her situation even harder than it already is.

Another voices shout comes from Gina's left and pulls her out of her thoughts.

"Hey, guys?" Stephanie yells, gesturing everyone to follow her.

Intrigued, the five follow her.

They all head towards Stephanie, stopping close behind her, Max standing next to her, looking at a boathouse on the water. A perfect place to hide from cops.

After a few moments of silence and Steve's heavy breathing, Robin speaks up. "Should we check it out?"

"I think we should," Stephanie breathes.

Everyone makes a silent agreement and they all walk towards the house. Gina peeks into a window, shining her flashlight into it, seeing nothing.