𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐂𝐄𝐍𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐎 𝐒𝐈𝐍

The feeling of your heart ripping through your chest sticks with you

The only assurance that Venus's boys were alive, was the tiny monitor at the back of the news van. Ma Plinth next to her, grabbing her hand for dear life even though Venus did not wish to be touched. She felt faint, ill, and wanted to look away but she couldn't. Her anxieties mirroring Coriolanus', miles away, as he steadily inched his way deeper into the Arena.

With shaky breaths he tiptoed around the rubble, trying to not make any noise as he approached Sejanus. His eyes lingered briefly on an abandoned bow and arrow set nestled in the center of the Arena, his attention returning to the boy a few feet ahead of him.

Sejanus turned a bit, seeing the physique of his friend. He was so broken and beaten down that all he could do was muster a whisper. "I thought they'd send my Ma."

Breathing, Coriolanus took another step further. His gait still affected by his injuries from the bombing a few days prior. "Yeah, I wish they had."

Getting up from mourning Marcus's body, Sejanus gave the boy a warning. "You need to go, Coryo." He said emotionless.

"I'd like to. I really would." He scoffed. "But I promised Venus I'd get you out." He told the partial truth. He made a few promises, however, the one with her was among the most significant. She was already suffering so much, she couldn't suffer this loss.

Sejanus raised a brow. "Why?"

"Because I love her and you mean everything to Nessie." He admitted, grabbing the boy's forearm and begging that he listened to him loud and clear. "Because you're my friend."

Venus's stomach lurched. She watched them on the screen, their faces mere inches from each other. She could tell by the narrowing of Coryo's brows that he was upset, or scared, a mixture of both as he spoke to Sejanus. She knew he had a tendency to be aggressive in his approach, it's how they often argued. She hoped he treated Sejanus with a bit of kindness in the Arena. He didn't respond well to aggression, he would shut down and act out even further.

There was no way for Coriolanus to know that. Another reason why she grew more infuriated she wasn't able to consult with Coryo about his approach before. She watched them closely, not able to hear a single word, just hoping they would return to her safely and quickly.

"I have to do this." Sejanus said in the Arena. "I had to go where the cameras are."

Coryo shook his head, trying to mask his anger. "You think anyone's watching this? Gaul cut the feed." He shared. "Tributes kill you in here, she's just gonna say you died of the flu. The only people who will know the truth are your family, me, and Venus. She's watching us right now, Sejanus."

He was cut off by debris falling above them. Looking up, Lamina had risen from her slumber. A menacing scowl etched onto her face as she sharpened the blade on a piece of rock. His biggest concern was coming true, his life on the line because Sejanus could not keep his emotions in check.