┊𝗜𝗜

─────══─────
『 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝟬𝟬𝟮 』
──══──

━『 You liar 』

"Don't touch me," I hiss through clenched teeth, quickly changing my tone. I mentally berate myself for being swayed by his kindness when I still don't fully trust him and his motives. With the back of my hand, I wipe away the tears that have escaped from my eyes.

Naruto speaks softly, "I'm sure Hinata has finished making lunch by now. Join us and eat together."

As we descend the stairs, I carefully follow him and ask, "You aren't planning to poison me, are you? Just so you know, it won't be effective."

A laugh escapes Naruto's lips and a smile spreads across his face as he turns to face me. "Don't worry, Shin. We're not going to harm you in any way," he reassures me.

I mutter under my breath, "Even if you did, I would find out." I shove my hands into my pockets and trail behind the Hokage as we enter what appears to be a combination living room and dining room.

Naruto's voice echoes from the kitchen, calling out to Hinata.

She pokes her head through the doorway and responds with a gentle tone, "Yes?"

"Could you prepare an extra plate? He'll be staying with us for a while."

Hinata nods eagerly, "Of course, I'll set it up right away."

Lord Seventh motioned for me to take a seat at the end of the table. As I surveyed the room, my nerves started to kick in again, unsure of what was going to happen next.

The girl who had welcomed me earlier took her place at the table with excitement. Being around her made me feel a little more relaxed, and I hoped that her enthusiasm would ease my doubts about them possibly trying to harm me.

The wife of Lord Seventh brought me my plate of food before anyone else. Normally, I could sustain myself by absorbing energy from my surroundings, but the smell of the food was tempting and I found myself wanting to eat it. At this point, I wasn't too concerned if the food had been tampered with; my abilities would protect me from any harm.

Before me rested a plate filled with unfamiliar foods, yet it all looked incredibly appetizing.

The Hokage and his family were already deep into their meal as I sat there, staring at my plate without touching a bite. Was it really okay for me to eat with them?

"Aren't you eating?" His wife inquired, a concerned look on her face. "Is there something you don't like on your plate?"

"The food is delicious!" Himawari added enthusiastically.

I tried to reply, but no words came out. The fear of angering Jigen and facing his wrath flooded back into my mind, silencing me. I shut my mouth tightly, unable to meet Hinata's concerned gaze. The memories of Jigen's punishments haunted me, making it hard to speak my true feelings.

Naruto's voice was gentle as he asked, "Shin, are you okay?" His expression echoed the worry mirrored in Hinata's eyes.

I hesitated before asking, my tiredness clear on my face. "Is it okay for me to have this?"

Lord Seventh spoke with a reassuring tone, "You don't need to ask for permission to eat, of course you can." I was taken aback by his words. Naruto and his wife shared a worried look, their concern clear on their faces.