Chapter 28

"And voila! Thus was the beginning of Whippet and Sam!"

I laughed a little at Jesse's finishing comment as a small blush crept across my already warm cheeks.

My eyes wandered down to my left hand as I fingered my ring

"The viewers are going to love that one" the camera man smiled as he lowered the camera to stop filming

A sharp and strained voice swept over the walkies

"Rhino to tower"

It was Chappo

Harries was the first to pick up his walkie and place his mouth near the speaker

"Tower to Rhino. It's Harries. Whats up?"

My eyes focused on Harries as the camera man picked up his camera once more

Chappo's voice rang through the speaker again "We've got a code 3 up the north end"

Code 3... missing persons

My heart thumped against my chest

Chappos voice continued to fill the room "Age 3, Brisbane tourist. Mother is hysterical"

"How long?" I asked, looking at Harries

No answer.

"Harries, how long has the kid been missing?!"

Harries eyes shot towards me before blaring my question through to Chap. "Almost half an hour" his voice replied.

Cries could be heard in the background; the source I was guessing was the childs mother.

"We've sent Maxi on the Rhino to have a look around. Whippet is going to head out to search the water. I'm going to stay put while Azza and Taco walk the beach. He was last seen wearing an orange rash shirt and blue boardies. Short brown hair, green eyes and fair skin. We'll keep you updated" Chappo's voice rang out. Leaving the tower silent. The camera man continued to film.

"Im going down there" I said, standing up from my seat "Can you and Jesse hold the fort? Radio Bisho or Hop from the South end if it gets too bad"

Harries nodded as he continued to write down the notes from Chappo

With my walkie in hand I stepped out of the tower to be welcomed by a cool, brisk breeze coming in from the east with dark clouds accompanying it. I reached back into the tower and grabbed the first jumper I could find before pulling it over my head. I pulled open the garage doors beneath the tower and jumped into a rhino before reversing out and making my way up to the north end of Bondi.

I reached the north end in minutes, but what felt like hours. I found Chappo by the Rhino, with the walkie talkie still clutched in his hand.

"Hey, hows it going?" I asked "Any sign of the kid?"

"Nope"

He turned to me, "What are you doing down here?"

"Im here to help" I replied

He nodded his head "Alrighty well-"

He was cut off by a harrowing sob from the Mother. Who was kneeling, clutching herself on the sand a metre from where we stood. Who I am guessing is her sister or close friend was trying to comfort her.

I walked over and kneeled in front of her. My heart broke. I couldn't even imagine what she must be feeling right this very moment.

"Hi"

There was a small silence as her body continued to rack with sobs

"My names Sam"

She looked up, tears pouring from her eyes

"My son... he's...he's missing"

"I know... But I promise you we are doing our absolute best to find him and bring him home to you"

She nodded her head

"Can you tell me the last time you saw him?"

"He was playing by the water, in the shallow end... I told him I was just going to grab the suncreen from my bag... it was only a metre or two up the beach" Her body shook "I turned around for 20 seconds..." A sob escaped "And when I came back he was gone"

She looked up, past me and towards the water

"Oh god.." She rose a shaky hand towards her mouth "What if...what if he's out there?"

I looked towards the water as she broke into another fit of sobs and hyperventilation. A distant clap of thunder rolled in the distance as the clouds kept forming closer and closer to land

I turned back to the mother who looked up at me her eyes wide and distressed

I placed my hand over hers "Im going to find your son"

I jumped to my feet and made my way over to Chappo

"Anything?"

"Nothing"

I looked at the water "Im going out there"

Chap looked at me "Whippet is already out there... people are beginning to clear the beach because of the storm.. Sam-"

"Im not kidding Chap, I am going out there" I replied sternly, already reaching for a board

"Damn you are one head strong girl"

I smiled at his comment as I began to make my way into the water.

Once I was past the breaking waves, I saw Whippet paddling around towards the back, telling people to head back into shore because of the storm.

"What are you doing out here?" Whip asked, as I swam closer

"Im helping"

"Babe...i don't know, its getting pretty bad out here-"

"Seriously?" I snapped "Just because I have a vagina doesn't mean I can't do my job. I get paid to do exactly what you do. Im doing my job"

Whippets voice was soft "Okay, im sorry. I didn't mean to make you upset"

I shook my head "No.. It's okay. I shouldn't have snapped. Im just stressed out and the Mum..she's...we have to find her son"

Whippet nodded his head "I know"

Another clap of thunder sounded above, except this time, much louder and closer.

Sharp and frequent waves bashed against out boards, forcing them to rock.

"Do you think he's out here?" I asked as we continued to paddle around the rocks

"To be honest...i don't know"

I sat up on my board looking towards the beach

"C'mon buddy....where are you?"

Static sounded over Whippets radio

"Sam, Whip? We got him"

I looked at Whip and give a massive sigh in relief "Oh thank god"

Whippet motioned to the beach "Come on, darling, it's getting scary out here. We gotta go"

I nodded my head and began to follow him into shore.

Here you go my little munchkins! Im so sorry it took so long! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! xxx -S