S1 ep 6: Dying to dance

Start from the beginning

"Ew," she heard Kelly's comments as she passed. "That..." she sighs. "Go try it on; maybe it won't look as bad as it does on you."

As Evelyn got changed into her Dark green costume with flowers and leaves on it, with white and green rhinstones. she glanced at Brooke. Besides being pink, she didn't think it looked that bad; it just doesn't seem like something someone Brooke's age would wear.

"That is just ugly. Does it look thirteen to fifteen age?" Kelly asks as they step out. "What Evelyn has on is what Brooke should be wearing."

"No, she looks like Pennywise the clown," Cathy comments, as Evelyn heads back to her vanity.

"You look pretty," Melissa tells her.

Eveltn yawns. "Thank you."

In the background, she could hear Abby ask Cathy if Brooke could try on Vivi-Annie's costume and Cathy telling her she didn't mind.

"Why are you so tired?" Melissa asks her. "Did you go to sleep when I told you, or were you practising your solo?"

Eveltn smiles sheepishly. "It wasn't perfect and I couldnt remember it."

"I told you to go to sleep on time," Melissa chides. "Now you're too tired to perform."

"No, I'm not," she denies. "I'm just fine."

Gianna walks into the room. "I need Maddie, Evie, and Chloe."

"Good luck," Melissa hugs her and Maddie before holding hands and walking over to Gianna with Chloe.

"And in 12A, it's in the musical theater category, 9 to 11 please welcome to stage Chloe in 'Parlez-Moi.' 12A."

Eveltn thought that Chloe did great; she looked like magic up there. It was making Evelyn slightly nervous.

"Coming up right now, judges, this is 27A. 2-7-A-- this is Maddie. She's in her own category—age nine—it's 'Beautiful.'"

Maddie's performance was simply beautiful. She nails both her turns and leaps, making them look seamless.

I really wished Ciara was here, she thought. Honestly, both Maddie and Chloe are usually pretty good competition, but their solos right now were the best all season. Evelyn didn't know if she could beat them.

"Please welcome to the stage, this is number 28A. In the contemporary category Age 9, this is 'The forest'"

She takes a breath before stepping on the stage. She's doing an outstanding job, giving it her best when she forgets a part of her routine. Instead of freaking out, though, or letting it show, she started improvising for the last 10 counts.

"What's wrong?" Chloe asks her when she steps off the stage.

She frowns. "I was supposed to do a side aerial into a pile, but I forgot it. I improvised. And I looked stupid.

"Really, I thought that was part of the routine," Maddie assures her.

Evelyn shrugs. "Well, I know I did."

She's so annoyed with herself. She let her nerves get to her, and she forgot her routine. "Can we go back now?"

Maddie nods, taking her hand. "Yeah."

Silently they left backstage, where they met their mom halfway to the dressing room.

"What happened?" Melissa asks her after hugging both her and Maddie.

"I forgot my routine," she admits.

"You did?" Melissa asks eyes widen slightly. "I couldn't tell. I thought you were beautiful."