-6-

Murtasim's declaration hangs in the air, leaving Meerab momentarily stunned. The weight of his words settles upon her like a heavy cloak, enveloping her in a whirlwind of confusion and disbelief. Why would he profess his admiration for her when he had come for her sister?

"Why?"

The question escapes Meerab's lips, drawing the attention of everyone in the room. Their expectant gazes only serve to intensify her unease.

"Can I talk to Meerab alone?" Murtasim asks Waqas instead of answering Meerab.

Waqas looks at Fahad, feeling conflicted that Murtasim had come for Haya yet now wanted to talk to Meerab, which seemed unfair to Haya.

"Kyun nahi. Baat kar lo. It is important to talk before nikkah," Haya interjects, even before Waqas or Fahad can respond.

"Thank you, Haya," Murtasim smiles, and Meerab gazes at him, feeling slightly dazed. His smile is beautiful, she thinks, before quickly averting her gaze.

"Uncle, I don't want to take Meerab alone. I want Haya and my brother to accompany us," Murtasim states firmly.

The elders proudly smile at Murtasim and give him permission. Haya leads them to the courtyard.

"Haya, Wasif wants to talk to you," Murtasim says as soon as they are away from the elders.

Haya and Meerab look at each other dumbfounded, confusion evident on their faces.

"Mujhe kya kahna tha?" Wasif looks at Murtasim. Murtasim gives him a glare. Wasif clears his throat and turns to Haya.

"I...I," wasif turns to Murtasim, "main kya bolu?" He mouths.

"Ab ye bhi mujhe hi batana parega?" Murtasim asks.

"Excuse me? What's happening here?"Meerab asks.

"Kuch nahi bas mere bhai ko tumhari bahan se ishq hua hai."

"Kya?" And with that Haya falls on the floor.

"Haya..." Meerab runs to her sister. She pats on Haya's face. "Wake up haya."

"Is she okay?" Wasif asks concerned.

"She must." Murtasim says with worry.

"Kya main zinda hu?" Haya opens her eyes.

"Haan. Behosh kyu hua tu?"

"Tu nahi suna Murtasim ne kya kaha? Wasif likes me!!!"

"Haya!! Meri bahan, thoda to apna izzat ka khayal rakh."

"Is she okay?" Murtasim asks.

"Yeah..yes. She is okay." Meerab pulls Haya from the floor.

"So, Haya, What do you think about Wasif?" Murtasim asks Haya.

"Manzoor hai mujhe." Haya squeals.

Meerab elbows Haya and rolls her eyes at Haya.

"I mean, he has to ask my Baba first."

"Don't worry. I will take care of it."

"Wait, but why did you say that you like me?"

"I didn't want our family to get suspicious."

"You could have rejected me instead!"

Murtasim who doesn't know why he said he liked Meerab instead of Haya, thinks to find an answer to Meerab's question.