Without uttering a word, I instinctively pulled her into a tight hug, a silent agreement on the shared exhaustion we both felt.

"You want some tea?" I offered, aiming to soften the heavy atmosphere that lingered between us.

A subtle gratitude flickered in Simone's tired eyes as she smiled, "Yes, I'd like that."

"Are you alright, Katherine? We had a test today, you never miss a test.." Simone worriedly asked me as I handed her her tea.

"Yes, I'm fine. It's all just so draining, I figured a few days off of school would fix it, It's nothing." I chuckled.

"God, you're right about that. You know I had a fight with Jean-Pierre yesterday." She rolled her eyes sipping on her tea.

"What did he do?" My eyes widened, prepared to be on Simone's side of whatever it was going to be.

"So, we have a student's lounge now, and I sat there with him as Michele came in. And, he was just so horrible to her so I confronted him about it." She explained and I nodded understandingly.

"Then, he goes on and changes the subject saying Martine isn't respectable because she 'Sleeps around.'" She made a hand gesture and I put down my tea.

"He did not! The nerve of this man." I scoffed and Simone put down her tea "Yeah, but that isn't all! He goes on and calls me unbearable!"

I stood up angrily and paced around the table "Men are all dogs, I'm telling you!" I dragged my hands across my face and sat back down annoyed.

"He did make it up to me though, he brought me a book about the Algiers." She took it out of her bag and I chuckled "That's sweet but, does he think he can just buy his way back?"

Simone smiled "I told him, if he really wants to make me happy again, he needs to be nicer to Michele." I nodded proudly "That's my girl."

Simone took my hands in hers and I looked at her confused "Kathy, he kissed me."

"He always does that, what's different about this one?" I smiled happily for her, though confused.

"It just.. it felt different, Katherine. When he kissed me, I didn't feel that spark, that electric surge that used to send shivers down my spine," Simone explained, her eyes searching mine for understanding.

I furrowed my brow, trying to process the meaning of her words "Simone, are you saying.. you're not in love with Jean-Pierre anymore?"

She shrugged with worry "I don't know, Kathy.." I took her in for a hug, rubbing my hand over her back as a form of comfort and support "Oh, Simone. You need to figure that out, for your sake and for Jean-Pierre's.."

The door opened, indicating that my mother had gotten back from the shops.

Simone stood up and smiled at me "I don't know what I'd do without you, Kathy." I chuckled at her "Nothing, probably."

She laughed and packed her stuff "I'll see you tomorrow, hopefully?" She searched my eyes for an answer and I nodded.

"Definitely." "Katherine? Who's that?" My mother yelled from down the hall and I led Simone toward the front door.

"It was Simone, she was just about to leave though." I explained and my mother smiled at her "Goodbye, Mrs. Vermont!" "Goodbye, Simone." She waved and I returned it closing the door.

"How were the shops, Mother?" I asked leaning against the dresser in our hall.

"Oh, they were eventful! The craziest thing happened at the charcuterie, it involved your friends as a matter of fact." My mother held the bags in her hands walking towards the kitchen, I followed her swiftly.

"The charcuterie? Michele's?" I questioned, a confused look planted on my face.

"Yes, you know that boy you had a project with a couple of weeks ago? The one-eyed boy?" She started unpacking the bags as I went to sit on the barstool.

"Descamps.. Yes.." I answered slowly, my mind filled with possibilities.

"He made a whole scene, it was unhinged. Apparently, Michele and that boy who lost his parents are together, as well as Simone and Jean-Pierre, can you believe that?" My mother shook her head.

I felt my heart drop, a chill running down my spine at the news.

Joseph's actions had torn through the delicate fabric of our friendships, exposing the hidden truths we had desperately tried to protect.

"Unbelievable," I managed to say, my voice a careful facade, hiding the storm of emotions within. My mother glanced at me, her expression a mix of concern and curiosity.

"Did you know anything about this, Katherine?" she inquired, her eyes searching mine for a hint of involvement.

I feigned innocence, my heart pounding with a mixture of anger and fear. "No, Mother. I had no idea. Why would I?"

She sighed, clearly taken aback by the unexpected drama. "I don't know, Katherine. It just seems like there's so much going on lately, and it's hard to keep track. I thought you might have heard something."

"No, Mom. I've been focusing on my own stuff," I replied, doing my best to maintain composure.

As my mother continued to unpack the groceries, I couldn't shake the image of Joseph orchestrating this chaos.

The betrayal stung, and anger boiled within me. How could he use such sensitive information to manipulate and hurt those I cared about?

"I can't believe that boy would do something like this," my mother continued, unaware of my internal confusion and anger. "People's personal lives are their own business, and he has no right to interfere."

"You know, he kind of reminds me of someone." She started and I looked up at her.

"Oh yeah, who?" I was still fuming picking at the skin around my nails.

"Remember that boy you used to play with? The one you made the boat with, the one you insisted you made all by yourself, even though I knew you didn't," she said, a reminiscent smile playing on her lips.

My eyes widened as the pieces finally fell into place. The connection struck me like a bolt of lightning, unraveling a truth that had been buried deep within my memories, how could I not have noticed?

Joseph, my current source of frustration and betrayal, was none other than the boy from my childhood, the one with whom I had shared laughter, adventures, and the creation of that makeshift boat.

"Joey..?"

― ITS HAPPENING, NEXT FUCKING CHAPTER YALL BETTER BE PREPARED BECAUSE I KNOW IT'S GONNA TAKE ME A LITTLE WHILE, MAYBE EVEN 2 DAYS BECAUSE IT HAS TO BE PERFECTTTT

Also... a coming back from someone maybe???

I LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH AND I CHERISH EVERY AT LEAST 4,000 PEOPLE OF YOU. YOU MOTIVATE ME SO MUCHHH.

This is gonna get hectic!!!!!!

Write some ideas please, maybe I can do something with it :

also give me some song choices for an confession, possibly angry possibly sweet :

MWA! XOXO

I also like to think of Kathy's mother as Anne Hathaway. Cause they both don't age come on.