x. ( wreath of toxin )

Comenzar desde el principio

"Do you miss Prim?" Beatrice asked the brunette.

Katniss let out a fond smile, "Of course. She's what I think about the most." Beatrice grinned, it was cute how much she loved her sister. The blonde knew exactly what that felt like.

"You have a sister too, right? Maeve?" Katniss asked and looked down at the blonde.

"Mhm. Mae practically raised me after our parents died. I miss her like hell."

"I know how that feels," Katniss agreed with the blonde, happy they could connect over something they both loved.

Beatrice had been drifting in and out of sleep for about an hour, too tired from the heat to stay awake. In the back of her head, she just hoped Katniss would stay alert.

Suddenly, Beatrice heard screaming. She jumped awake, alert, as she recognized the voice as Katniss. She had to complete the mission assigned to her; protect The Mockingjay.

As she sat up, she saw Katniss lying on the ground with white bumps all over her hand. It appeared to be burning her hand.

"Katniss!" Beatrice shouted as she rushed over to the brunette, trying to get her to stand up.

"Run! Run! The fog is poison!" Katniss screamed from the ground. The blonde went into survival mode, helping everyone get up and away from the hazardous fog.

Beatrice helped Mags get on Finnick's back before being dragged off by Katniss. They all began sprinting through the trees, almost tripping over vines and branches. It was like a maze that would never end.

Peeta headed up the front, then Katniss and Beatrice holding hands, then Mags on Finnick's back. Beatrice would have complained that she would go first, but it was no time for that. It was life or death.

The fog started to surround them, trapping them in a wreath of toxin. Peeta lead them around the fog quickly, darting every which way to escape it.

"Ah!" Katniss yelled from behind Beatrice. The blonde swiftly whipped around, helping the younger girl to her feet. The poison stung both of them, leaving venomous bumps in its wake. Peeta quickly turned around and helped the women, getting stung with poison as his penance.

Peeta seemed to get the worst of the fog, leaving him hobbling to walk and get away from the danger. Katniss and Beatrice each took one of his arms, practically dragging him through the forest. It was no use, the fog was slowly catching up to them.

Beatrice's eyes darted back and forth from Peeta and the fog, contemplating whether or not to leave on her own. She immediately decided against the idea as soon as it popped into her head. This was her job, to protect and die for them. She knew she had to make the struggle.

Finnick started screaming behind the trio. Beatrice let go of Peeta's arm and went to assist Mags back up. It was for nothing, neither of the District Four tributes could stand up. The venom was hitting the three of them harshly, not being able to get proper footing.