𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑿𝑰𝑽

NOTICE OF CONTENT TRIGGER WARNING

This novel contains harsh descriptions of heinous crimes, violence, gore, swear words, child abuse, and disturbing scenes, and other issues that may be considered inappropriate for younger readers. Parents are advised to exercise caution when determining whether this content is appropriate for their children.

ONCE UPON A SNOWFALL IN DANMARRE

"In order to survive, must we all ourselves to be deceived first? Or is it the hand of fate that guides us along the path of trickery and deception?"

THE COLD, harsh winter season provided nothing but a constant suffering and despair for the young children, as they stood outside the neighborhood, with only their matchsticks to keep them warm. The children were shivering from the frigid winter conditions, which made it nearly impossible for them to withstand the bitter cold and survive in the current state. The two children struggled to find protection from the extreme weather conditions, attempting to take shelter in abandoned properties or anywhere that might provide a temporary escape from the frosty freeze and biting cold.

Both children possessed similar physical attributes, as they both possessed identical long white, silvery-like strings of hair, alongside a pair of brilliant scarlet, sun-like rays as their eyes. Their similar features and striking resemblance to one another created the notion that they were born like as twins.

"For how long we will be forced to endure the suffering and pain?" the young boy inquired softly, while clutching the lit matchstick with a clenched fist while he held his little sister tightly, trying to provide her with some form of warmth from his own physical body. The boy was visibly distressed and concerned for the well-being of his younger sister, as they had both endured a lengthy period of misery and despair in the harsh winter.

"We have not sold a sufficient amount of matches this day." The young boy exclaimed with his eyes gazing towards the neighboring house that was a few blocks away, where a warm, loving family was gathered together around the dinner table. The boy couldn't help but feel a sense of jealousy and envy, as the family was eating in peace and comfort, while he and his sister were forced to fend for themselves in the freezing cold without a shelter in sight.

The young boy sighed with a feeling of utter disappointment, as he wished to live a life similar to the family around the table in the comfort of a warm home. Fate, however, was very cruel to those kids, as one night, a strange man with a bearded face and a maniacal grin on his face approached them while they were near the squatter area. The man inquired about their situation and made the children feel uneasy as he asked them, "Hey there kids, are you lost tonight?"

As the strange man with the strange expression on his face approached the young children in a stealthy manner, it was as though they were being viewed as the prey and he was the predator, similar to a cat and a mouse chasing on another. The man spoke in a creepy and unnerving manner, "Don't be so afraid, little mice. I'm just going to spare you something." He continued to approach the children in a slow and deliberate manner, causing their hearts to speed up in fear and dread as they waited for the man to reveal what he had hidden behind his back.

The young boy on the other hand, attempted to safeguard his younger sister by putting his body in front of her, he could smell the strong alcoholic odor exuding from the man, which caused serious discomfort to his nose and lungs. The man was seemingly intoxicated and not fully sound of mind, as he suddenly took out a pocketknife from his pants and attempted to murder the children. However, he only managed to cut the hair of the young boy, leaving a few strands of messy hair dangling on the ground near his shoes. The boy was completely shocked and horrified, as he expected the man to take a more drastic action.