I Can't Stand You

Start from the beginning

That was when your ears perked up. You heard something, something familiar being carried quite a distance by the soothing morning breeze. It was faint, incredibly so, but you could just hear it. The sound of a ferocious roar being carried throughout the desert and into town. The sound of something powerful and fantastical.

The sound of a racing engine.

~~~~~~~~

You were thankful Willy's Butte wasn't too far of a walk from town. While it did you good to actually get some quality exercise for your legs instead of relying on your car for every trip and ride, you would've been more cranky if it wasn't early morning and instead in the heat of the afternoon. As you approached further, you saw a black and white car come into view.

With a sigh of relief, feeling comfortable that of all people, it was the Sheriff who decided to give McQueen a break, you quickened your pace to see what exactly said racer's break was. "Good morning, Sheriff!" You called with a smile as you jogged over.

"(Y/N)! What're you doin' up?" He smiled back at you as you shifted to a clunky jog to stop yourself.

"Well I got worried when I didn't see the racer kid doing his job, so I came looking." You answered. It wasn't a complete lie at least, but you surely weren't going to admit it was because you heard his engine form miles away and fancied a look.

Sheriff chuckled, resting his hands on his belt. "You're just like Doc. Always trying to keep things in order." You halfheartedly chuckled at his comment. You didn't really think so, and you didn't exactly want to have that trait of Doc's, but whatever. It's just good ol' Sheriff saying that anyway. "Nah, the kid ran through all his asphalt and asked if he could come out here."

You looked out, watching Lightning speeding around the dirt track. You plopped down to the ground, sitting with your legs crossed as you watched the racer in his race car zooming around. "Why's that?"

"He just wants to get that turn down. He's persistent, I'll give him that." Sheriff replied with a yawn.

All you did was hum in response with a very small nod, keeping a close eye on the blur of red that continued to rush around in circles. You watched as Lightning took many different approaches to the turn, different timings and lines and even just crazy outlandish tricks that you couldn't help but laugh at. Each and every one resulted in the same, nothing more than a spin out. And each and every time, he would provided another act of frustration. Whether it be loudly complaining, yelling at himself or the world in general, or a simple slap of his hand onto the steering wheel or dashboard.

After a while of watching him, you broke the silence, "Do you think he'll ever get it?" You couldn't help the cocky smirk that rose to your face as a result of mocking the so-called "professional" racer who couldn't even get down this simple turn.

"I'd like to think he would eventually," Sheriff began, "but who knows." A brief pause in the conversation followed. McQueen then spun out for yet another time. You had long since lost track of how many fails he had racked up since you arrived at the scene.

Sheriff finally spoke up again. "You know this track pretty well!" He sent a smile your way. "Why don't you give him some pointers?"

You scoffed, offended at the mere idea. "Me? Try to help him?" Yet another scoff escaped your lips. "No way am I ever helping that guy. He's so cocky and stuck up and just plain rude! Why, it's because of him that I'm having trouble convincing Doc to let me go see that tiebreaker race!"

"Geez! No need to get so defensive!" Sheriff's eyes widened a little as he held his hands up in surrender. He had never seen you act quite like that before. It was a little off-putting. "But y'know, kid, Doc's just looking after you. I mean, look at him." Sheriff motioned out to Lightning, who was still very much focused on the track. "You said so yourself, he's cocky and stuck up! Where do you think he got that from? And look where it got him in the end! Going against the law and being punished for it."