(14) Harmony in Change

Start from the beginning

In the midst of Lucy Gray's anger, Lumi stood there, feeling like a pawn in the parental struggle.

Coriolanus tried to explain, stumbling over his words, but Lucy Gray wasn't having it.

"You had no right, Coriolanus. I entrusted you with our daughter, not some Capitol puppet!" Lucy Gray's eyes blazed with a mix of disappointment and fury. The room felt smaller as the confrontation intensified.

Lumi, caught between her parents' clash, wished she could disappear. The return she had eagerly anticipated turned into a storm of emotions she never saw coming.

"Mother, it's alright," Lumi attempted to soothe her, but Lucy Gray's frustration surged. "Lumi, go to your room."

"But..."

"Go!" Lucy Gray's stern command left no room for negotiation, and Lumi retreated to her room, the tension hanging heavy in the air.

"She's my daughter too!" Coriolanus asserted.

"But you were never there!" Lucy Gray choked on her words, holding back a sob.

"I stayed! For 13 years, I stayed in the same place, waiting for you to come back! And you never did!...and now...you think you have some claim over her!"

Coriolanus, his tone softened, responds, "Lucy Gray, I thought I was doing what was best for her. I wanted to give her opportunities, a chance at a different life."

Lucy Gray, tears streaming down her face, retorts, "You had no right! You don't get to decide what's best for her without me!"

"I was 16 and alone! I could've died giving birth!" Lucy Gray exclaimed, her voice echoing with the years of solitude and struggle.

Coriolanus, trying to defend himself, "I did what I thought was best for her future. You were gone, and I had to make choices on my own!"

"You didn't endure sleepless nights, fearing she wouldn't wake up when morning came!," Lucy Gray asserted.

Coriolanus approached Lucy Gray, wrapping his arms around her in a gentle embrace.

"I'm sorry, I never wanted to hurt you or Lumi. I thought... I thought I was doing what was best," Coriolanus whispered, his voice filled with remorse.

Lucy Gray slowly separated herself, and Coriolanus held her face, wiping away her tears with his thumb.

"I'm sorry for bein' so emotional; it might be the hormones," she confessed.

"Huh," Coriolanus responded, curious.

"I'm pregnant," Lucy Gray said with a small smile.

Coriolanus's face displayed a myriad of emotions, leaving Lucy Gray uncertain about their meaning.

Lucy Gray, looking into Coriolanus' eyes, asked, "What are we gonna do..." The weight of the revelation hung in the air as they grappled with the uncertain future.

"I'm not sure," Coriolanus replied, releasing Lucy Gray, his face etched with concern.

She questioned, "Are you not happy?" The air was heavy with uncertainty as they faced the complexities of their situation.

Coriolanus sighed, "It's not that I'm not happy, it's just... everything is so complicated."

"What about Livia?"

Coriolanus, with a troubled expression, responded, "Well, if we get rid of her the-"

Lucy Gray interjected, "No! No killing, you promised."

Coriolanus sighed, acknowledging her concern, "I know, I know... but she's here."

Lucy Gray, puzzled, pressed further, "What?"

Coriolanus explained, "She's been staying here since you left, so if we're gonna do something, it has to be soon."

Lucy Gray pondered the situation, her mind racing with conflicting thoughts. "We can't rush into things, especially now. I need time to think."

Coriolanus approached with a gentle stride, his hand tenderly resting on her stomach. Lucy Gray glanced up, meeting his warm gaze, and couldn't help but reciprocate the smile that played on his lips.

She backed away suddenly.

"Grow a pair and don't let yourself be manipulated by the Cardews. If you truly want us to be a family, take action."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Lucy Gray quietly opened the door to her daughter's room, cautious not to disturb her in case she was sleeping. However, Lumi was still awake, staring at the ceiling.

Lucy Gray sat at the edge of her bed, and Lumi wrapped herself around her mother.

"I'm sorry for ruining our reunion by getting so heated with your dad. It's just... it hurts seeing my little girl change herself," she said, gently rubbing her daughter's head.

Lumi excitedly sat up next to her mother,

"Mother, it's fine. I told you when you came back I'd be 10 times smarter, and I am! I learned about history, science, even math. Who knew there was so much knowledge to understand? And Father got me a music tutor."

She held both of her mother's hands, "I'm learning how to play the piano and the violin. I-I could play for you when you sing."

Lucy gray laughed "that reminds me I haven't told you about my tour yet, but before that, there's something important. You're going to be a big sister" Lucy gray looked carefully at lumis expression but all she saw was a disgusted face.

Lumi recoiled, "Oh, uhh, I also learned about anatomy and things..."

Her face turned crimson in embarrassment. Lucy Gray couldn't contain her laughter,

"But aren't you happy about becoming a big sister?" Lumi, now smiling brightly, replied,

"Well, yes! I'm really happy, and I promise I'll take care of the baby."

" Before you go, can you sing to me like you used to?"

"Of course," Lucy Gray replied, tenderly tucking Lumi in and gently stroking her head.

Deep in the meadow, under the willow

A bed of grass, a soft green pillow

Lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes

And when again they open, the sun will rise.

Here it's safe, here it's warm

Here the daisies guard you from every harm

Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true

Here is the place where I love you.

Lumi drifted into peaceful slumber, embraced by the soothing melody of her mother's lullaby.