06 ▬▬▬▬▬▬ fiery rides

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Effie sighs in delight and regains total composure as she begins to start another phrase. "Now, you have to know everything will be different because it's a Quarter Quell. The Capitol has spared no expense. A new training centre, new tribute living quarters, and of course, a very special arena." she describes, almost enthusiastically as she pictures our new home for a few days. "But this year you'll be facing new Victors. Capitol favourites: smart, cunning, skilled. And they all know each other. Jade, sweetheart, you're the outsider." her eyes don't leave mine as she articulates this last sentence.

"Great." I falsely mumble, sparing Haymitch a quick glance. It is true, though; I am the only one with no connections, and have failed to build actual relationships with any of the past Victors in the last year. Haymitch, on the contrary, may have a few acquaintances here and there, and I dare wonder if he'll drop me to join his fellow friends. Why stay with a clueless teenage girl when you have lethal friends offering you a possible alliance? I attempt to shrug away the thought, feeling my heart drop immediately.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

We've arrived in the Capitol and I barely have time to appreciate the luxury offered to me when my entire team sit me in the living room. Now's the time to watch the recap of the Reapings and apprehension plays at my heart. I have a single doubt inking my mind, and I fiercely hope I'm wrong. Anyways, I'm about to have my answer in the following minutes. I rest my head against my hand, waiting for the screen to light up and present my new rivals. Yet, at the supposed delay, Haymitch manages to squeeze in a few words of advice. "Jade, I want you to forget everything you think you know about the Hunger Gamers." he begins, and I already feel myself losing hope. "Last year was child's play. This year, you're dealing with experienced killers."

"Okay--and what am I supposed to do with that?" I ask, because I don't see the purpose of the speech if it's only going to wash away my motivation.

"This means you're going to have to make allies." he replies, placing a firm hand onto my shoulder. I can tell he believes I'll be a problem in the process of making friends. "Look, you're starting at a disadvantage, most these people have been friends for years. God, I'm friends with them."

"Which obviously puts me higher on their kill list." I come to a quick conclusion, my lips curling into a frown.

"Do this your own way, but I know these people, and you can use that to your advantage. You are my district partner, after all." Haymitch adds, and I can't help but nod. "Plus, you have no problem putting on the charming girl that can bring light into a room when you actually try."

Before I can come up with a reply, the screen suddenly lights up and fills the room with brightness. My eyes automatically plant themselves on the screen, and my heart speeds up in dread. In the history of the Games, there have been seventy-five victors. Fifty-nine are still alive. Twenty-two of them will show up on the television in the following seconds.

Obviously, District 1's Reaping is the first to play, and I recognise the classically beautiful brother and sister who were victors in consecutive years when I was little. "Cashmere and Gloss. Brother and sister. District 1." Haymitch says, validating my thoughts. "They're Capitol favourites, lots of sponsors. They will be lethal." he briefly describes. "Now, the other half of the Career Pack."

I prepare myself for District 2's Reaping, and I unconsciously let my fingers play with the fabric of my dress. I desperately wish that my mind is playing tricks on me, and that I will not be seeing a certain blond-haired boy appear on the screen. I don't pay much attention to the female tribute that pops up, rather waiting for the male tribute to be picked. It's all I can focus on. "Brutus Lunn." I throw my head back in relief as I realise Cato's name has not been called out. Thank g--