7

The dragon pit arena was enveloped in a dim, flickering glow from torches lining the outer edge. Vermax, Jace's dragon, sat in chains at the center, his majestic form outlined by the dancing shadows. The air hummed with anticipation as the four boys, Aemond, Aegon, Luke, and Jace, circled around the restrained dragon. Aemma sat on the dirt ground a bit behind them, her gaze fixed on the scene unfolding before her.

The dragon's scales shimmered faintly in the torchlight, reflecting the captivity he endured. The clinking of chains echoed as Vermax shifted, a creature of immense power confined within the darkened arena. The boys, excitement etched on their faces, prepared for Jace's turn to command his dragon. The ambient light cast a subdued glow on the dusty ground, creating a stark contrast between the chained dragon and the figures surrounding it.

Aegon, appearing somewhat bored, yawned as he periodically glanced towards the exit, his foot tapping impatiently. In the dimly lit Dragon Pit, the dragon keepers moved with practiced precision, releasing the chains that bound Vermax. The metallic clinks echoed through the arena as the dragon, now freed, unfurled its wings with a slow, deliberate grace.

Vermax, a creature of strength and majesty, began to move towards Jace, his scales gleaming faintly in the torchlight. The air carried a mix of tension and excitement as the dragon approached its master. Aegon's restlessness contrasted with the focused determination on Jace's face, creating a dynamic atmosphere within the ancient walls of the Dragon Pit.

The dragon keeper, a figure seasoned by years of handling these majestic beasts, stood beside the boys and addressed Jace, "Call Vermax to heel, Prince Jacaerys." His voice carried a hint of authority, the words echoing in the dimly lit Dragon Pit as the moment of command hung in the air. Jace, spurred by the directive, took a deep breath, focusing on the dragon approaching him with each measured step.

Jace, adopting the ancient tongue of High Valyrian, commanded Vermax, "Serve." The dragon, responding to the familiar command, grumbled in a low, rumbling tone. Vermax halted in his approach, raising his head to meet Jace's gaze. The dragon's intelligent eyes reflected curiosity, as if contemplating the meaning of his master's words. A silent communication passed between them in the dimly illuminated Dragon Pit.

Jace, momentarily seeking guidance from the dragon keeper, found himself interrupted as Vermax, sensing a vulnerability in authority, rumbled and snapped his head forward. The sudden movement startled Jace, prompting him to jump back, eyes widening in surprise. Reacting swiftly, Jace yelled, "Halt!" in High Valyrian, a command that cut through the tension and brought Vermax to an abrupt stop.

As the dragon came to a halt, a collective gaze fixed upon the scene unfolding in the Dragon Pit. Vermax, having responded to Jace's command, emitted a contented purr, the resonant sound echoing through the ancient walls. The dragon keeper nodded approvingly, acknowledging Jace's success with a subtle gesture.

In a coordinated effort, other dragon keepers emerged, presenting a goat. Vermax, now showing eagerness, turned toward the unmistakable sound of the goat's bleating. Anticipation filled the air as the dragon, momentarily halted, awaited the next development in the training session.

The dragon keepers efficiently tied the goat to a post. Vermax, sensing the presence of the tethered prey, began to make his way toward it with a purposeful stride. Jace, realizing his dragon was no longer listening to him, urgently yelled, "Vermax!", attempting to regain control. However, the dragon, fueled by its instinctual desire, appeared unresponsive to Jace's command, emphasizing the unpredictable nature of these powerful creatures.