Chapter 2 | The Half-sisters

[Akari's Point of View]

The morning sun casts a warm glow across the room as I wake up, feeling a sense of excitement for the day ahead. The delicious aroma of our father's cooking fills the air, making my stomach rumble with anticipation. I glance over at my sister, Kotoko, who is still rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

"Good morning, kotoko-chan," I greet her cheerfully, my voice filled with warmth.

Kotoko responds with a half-hearted smile, but her eyes hold a hint of sadness. Our relationship has always been strained, and it's because of the complicated family history we share. 

As we make our way to school, I can sense Kotoko's resentment growing. She keeps her distance from me, her eyes filled with anger.

During lunchtime, I find myself surrounded by friends, laughing and chatting animatedly. I steal a glance at Kotoko, who sits alone at a distant table, her expression a mix of frustration and longing. The jealousy in her eyes is palpable, and it breaks my heart to see her like this.

After the final bell rings, I wait for Kotoko outside the school gate, hoping to bridge the growing divide between us. But today, she's nowhere to be found. Confusion and worry wash over me as I wonder what could have happened. Did I do something to upset her? Is she avoiding me?

Deciding to walk home alone, I can't shake off the feeling of sadness that lingers within me. I miss the closeness we once shared, and I yearn for a way to mend our fractured bond. The weight of Kotoko's resentment and her hatred towrds me weighs heavily on my heart.

Lost in my thoughts, I'm startled when I hear a familiar voice behind me. It's Naoki, his usual cold expression replaced by a rare warmness whenever he's around me. He must have noticed me being sad.

"Is everything okay, Akari?" Naoki asks, concern evident in his eyes.

I hesitate for a moment, unsure of how much to share with him. 

"Oh Naoki! Yes, of course everything is fine... kind of" I said frowning

He looks at me and understands that I don't want to talk about it.  He decided to change the subject "Do you want to go home together?" he asked and smiles at me.

I hesitated for a moment but then nods in approval. And with that his smile grew bigger and he suddenly took my bag from me.

"Let me carry this" He said politely, and with that I just nod and smiles at him. 

As they walked side by side, Naoki gives akari the space that she needed now but comforts her by smiling at her and making jokes.

Finally, they arrived at the house where Akari and Kotoko lived. Just as they were about to enter, Kotoko spotted them together. However, instead of feeling relieved or happy to see her sister, Kotoko's jealousy grew bigger. She couldn't understand why Akari was with Naoki instead of her.

A/N: Advance Merry Christmas Everyone!