Part 8. The Races.

Start from the beginning

Then, came the garter belt, as I slipped into that and clipped both stockings to the clips, that dangled from it. Then the most important peice, of them, all the dress. I took it down from it's hanger and stepped into it, slipping both feet in first and pulling it up, past my bum and then I slipped both hands, through the arm holes and pulled it up over my shoulders. With all the skill I had, I also managed to fasten it up at the back by myself, to which I was really surprised, the fact I could do it. Lastly, came the hair, it was finally all dry, so I took it all out of the rags, one by one and brushed it out a little, so that they wouldn't look like, I had been dragged through a hedge backwards. It dangled just onto the shoulders, tickling them as it finally settled.

Once I was finally dressed, I took one last look at myself in mirror and admired myself for a moment, before I went and made my way downstairs. For some reason, my guts were all in knots and it finally hit me, at the danger I could be placing myself in. And upon a strange train of thought, I ran out into the backyard and into our little garden, where I planted the gun the I had killed the man with and I dug it up, being careful not to get mud on myself or my dress. I filled the hole back in and took the gun inside, gave it a clean and then put it inside my handbag. I knew it was wrong of me and I knew that this little object, had already made me kill someone, but for some reason my head was telling me to keep it with me for protection, but for why I do not know.

Just as I was about to leave, to go and meet Tommy, I heard the front door open, so I quickly scrambled to grab my bag and make sure that whoever it was, couldn't see the gun that was within it. The figure happened to be father, who just stood at the doorway, stopped in his tracks and staring at me. "What are you doing home?". I asked him curious. "I errr, I err, I'm on break and I wanted to come and see you before you went and I wanted to meet this Tommy fellow". Dad said, as he stuttered and blinked a few times, trying to take his gaze from me. "Oh". Was all I replied. "You look beautiful sweetheart, just like your mam did, when ah used to tak' her out on dates back in ma day". He said, as he came forward with arms open wide and placed both his hands upon my arms and kissed the top of my head, making me close my eyes with the contact.

"Thank you dad". I whispered. "So, what times he comin' then?". He asked me. "Actually I'm meeting 'im at the Garrison at nine o'clock". I told him. "Ah, can you not mack on that ya late and then he might come 'ere for ya instead?". Dad asked. "Why?". I replied. "Well I wanna meet 'im, find out what kinda man is going to tack my daughter out on a date". He said. I just smirked at him and walked over to the sette and sat down. "Fine!". I sighed, I looked over to the mantel clock it was already five to nine, I should have made tracks about half eight. "I want ya back in this 'ouse for ten at the latest mind, I'm warning ya now". Dad said. "Yes dad, anar man!". I snapped slightly.

Just then, there was a knock at the front door. Dad jumped up from off the sette beside me to go and answer it. Meanwhile, I smoothed my hair down and my dress to make myself look more presentable. "Mr Taylor?". I heard a gruff voice say from the otherside of the door. "Who's asking?". Dad replied. "Mr Taylor, I'm Thomas Shelby, I'm here to take your daughter to the races, is she here?". The voice replied, straight away I knew it was him. "Aye she's in 'ere, sorry she lost track of time, ya nar what women are like with getting ready and all that". Dad said, as he allowed Tommy to come further into the house.

He didn't look at me at first, he just looked around the whole living room. "Nice house". He told dad. "Cheers mate, I try me best to keep it tidy, but it's our Roselyn 'ere what does most of the cleaning, bless 'er 'eart". Dad said, as he pointed down at me still sat on the sofa. My heart was racing, I can't believe that thee Tommy Shelby, is in my sitting room, talking to my dad. Just, as dad pointed down at me, he followed my dad's index finger and looked directly at me and smirked slightly to himself, his peaked cap covering his eyes for a moment. "Yeah that's Roselyn for you, she keeps the Garrison spotless as well, you can see your face in that bar". He replied, as he smiled at me slightly, not taking his gaze from mine.