chapter sixteen, tells

Start from the beginning

"We're happy to have you," the man smiled at the group of teenagers, who seemed to ease up slightly, shaking Mr LaRusso's hand and introducing themselves. As he took the group of former Cobras around the front to show them the ropes, Robby seemed less than impressed, as he and Bowie took to scrubbing at the fence one last time whilst Sam and Demetri worked at readjusting the plants by the pond.

"This is a terrible idea," Robby scoffed, dipping a sponge into the now lukewarm bucket. "Letting the Cobra Kais into Miyagi-Do will never end well. They're a bunch of assholes."

Grimacing as some of the water dripped down his arm, Bowie shrugged.

"Well, Miyagi-Do won't only have newcomers from Cobra Kai today, at least. I think I'm gonna sign up."

Robby's eyes widened and for a moment, he grinned, before his face dropped.

"That's great! But, doesn't that mean..."

"Yeah. Red Tigers shut down. We didn't get any new students after the All Valley because of Cobra Kai, and the rent just kept going up. Oh, and get this; an anonymous source put Sensei Blakeway's name forward for a position at the Wado International Karate Foundation, and he got the job. So that was the end of that, I guess."

"I'm sorry, Bowe, that sucks ass," Robby gave a small, sympathetic smile. "But hey, at least you get to train with me and Miyagi-Do now and help us get back at Cobra Kai."

Bowie nodded, tight lipped, both charmed by Robby's enthusiasm and craving a little more empathy from him. He continued scrubbing at the fence, moving on to another set of panels, his mind running over all the events that lead to him being here, in Miyagi-Do, but doubling back to who it could have been that had recommended Sensei Blakeway for the job at WIKF.

"Oh, uhm, also, Bowie-" Robby started, his eyes flitting across the dojo before meeting his best friend's. "There's probably something I should tell you about Sam-"

Demetri's raised voice drew the boys from their conversation.

"I didn't say anything!"

"You think I'm just gonna let you diss me?"

"I didn't diss you. It was constructive criticism."

Dropping the sponge back into the bucket, Bowie headed across the lawn, leaving the conversation in the air.

"Dem, what's going on?"

"Hey, what's going on here?" Mr LaRusso interrupted, coming out from the dojo hurriedly. Sam and Robby also gathered around the conflict.

"This nerd called me an imbecile," Chris complained, and Bowie held back a slight laugh. "I told him he can't just drop a challenge and leave."

"I didn't 'drop a challenge'," Demetri argued with dramatic air quotes that made Bowie hide a grin behind raised eyebrows. "He dropped the potted plant."

"It was an accident."

"Okay, guys, relax," Mr LaRusso tried, coming in between them. "What... what's your name?"

"Chris."

"Chris, this is Demetri-"

"Yeah, we're acquainted," Demetri scoffed. "He tried to kick the crap out of me, remember?"

Mr LaRusso sighed, long and hard, and Robby threw a knowing grimace in his best friend's direction.

"Okay, so you guys have some beef with each other."