chapter two, skipping

— chapter two, skipping!

WEST VALLEY HIGH was extraordinarily dull ninety eight percent of the time. Since moving to Encino at thirteen soon after his older brother moved out, Bowie had been forced to endure his four years of high school in an entirely different location to Robby; and he hated it.

The two boys had woken at around five to the sound of Mr Woods stumbling through the door in a drunken state. Used to the protocol by now, Bowie stood up to hurriedly lock their door so they couldn't be disturbed, and Robby quietly slid open the window after fumbling around in the dark for his hoodie.

          "I'll see you tomorrow at the skate park?" Bowie whispered, causing Robby to grin back.

          "Half past two on the dot, you better skip study period."

          "You're a bad influence, Keene," Bowie smiled, running a hand through their sleep-tangled curls.

          "You love me," Robby cocked an eyebrow before hopping out the window, waving as he began to run down the long drive.

Half past two was now only two hours away, and Bowie was barely holding on. School was always a bore, and even the kids Bowie sometimes occupied his time with seemed preoccupied. As the bell rang signifying the end of lunch, Bowie fired a quick text off to Robby who had chosen to sleep in rather than go to school today before traipsing their way to English class.

Bowie liked the boy he sat next to in English: he was intelligent and quick as a whippet, despite being a little snarky and abrupt. Demetri Alexopolous was seemingly constantly wired by both ADHD and anxiety, and today he was insistent on telling Bowie all about his costume ideas for the upcoming Halloween dance that Bowie had zero interest in attending.

          "See, I was thinking Batman, but Eli isn't really a DC guy, so going as Batman and Superman is off the table."

          "What about Iron Man and Captain America?" Bowie offered up, only for Demetri to shake his head.

          "I'm Team Iron Man and Eli is Team Cap, but I'm too lanky to be Tony Stark," the boy stated as though it was obvious. "Are you planning on coming to the dance?"

          "Nope," Bowie shook their head, "Can't think of anything worse. Last year the parent chaperones had a dance off and that was more than enough for me. I'll probably just hang out with Robby or something."

          "Ah, the elusive Robby," Demetri mused, having heard about the boy briefly in passing before. "The elusive boyfriend Robby?"

          "Not boyfriend. Or elusive. Just Robby," Bowie corrected, lowering his voice as the teacher passed them.

          "Well, just Robby is texting you," Demetri said nonchalantly, gesturing towards Bowie's phone which was face-up on the desk. "And if you do decide on coming to the dance, you're welcome to join us. I'm sure you'd get on with Miguel just great."