Memoirs (One-shot)

A/N: I am too lazy to proof read this story so I’m sorry, in advance, for all the grammatical errors present and for the confusing plot, lame narration and sucky dialogues. 

But please do comment. I'll appreciate it, yknow. :)

The one I love died and I was there to witness it unfold before my eyes.

It was a breezy afternoon in the 7th of April, the trees were dancing and swaying with the wind, and the sky seemed gloomy and gray. I tucked my hands in the yellow sweater I was wearing as the cold breeze passed me by. I was sitting in a bench, under the shelter of a tree, and I was waiting for him to come. He told me to arrive at 4PM sharp and yet he wasn’t even there yet. The sky is getting darker but I was too giddy and excited to even bother wondering why it was too cold that time when it was the middle of the summer season.

Had I notice it, will it change the course of events that will unveil in the future?

Perhaps the sky then was warning me to take a step back, or to hold on longer or to run as fast as I can. But whichever that seems to symbolizes, our ending was written, only it was unmercifully done, and I was the only one to survive to retell the story of how it ended.

After when a stretch of silence was ensued, I finally heard footsteps, frantic and nervous, but at that time I thought he was just eager to see me. I looked up to his face and was confused by the nervous look in his eyes, the slight quivering of his lips, and the tiredness in his stance. He was catching breath when he came in closer.

‘What’s wrong, Miguel?’ I asked him worriedly. He stared at me and I saw fear flashed his eyes and saw something in his expression I can’t comprehend.

‘Quick, let’s get out of here.’ He whispered while tugging my hand and helped me to stand.

‘Miguel, what’s wrong?’ I asked again, stopping him from dragging me. He looked at me helplessly and reached to take my hand back but I slapped his hand away.

‘We’re not going anywhere until you tell me what’s wrong!’ I shouted at him for the first time for I was confused and scared of the way he acted.

‘Nothing, but we really need to hurry.’ He said, almost pleadingly but I held my ground.

Maybe it was really my fault for not listening to him or maybe it was his for not confiding the truth. But whenever these scenes come to my mind, I can’t help but feel remorse and anger. Anger for myself for being stupid, for being such a girl, and for letting him die to save myself.

‘No, you need to tell me the truth. Why are you so nervous?’ I asked him again. He gazed into my eyes and I saw again that expression I chose to ignore. But it was there once again, the flash of guilt in his eyes.

Up to now, I never knew why he looked at me so guiltily in the past. Or it might be I knew all along but I chided myself to pretend otherwise.

But before he could have the chance to answer me, we heard several loud footsteps. He held my hand tightly and I knew he wanted to run, but our feet seemed frozen to the ground and it felt like we were unable to move.

The sound of the footstep grew louder and as if it was a signal, we started to run. I was not so sure to why, but I knew that we need to. He dragged me and our feet lead us to the confinement of several trees. We stopped to breathe and turned our gazes around.

‘What’s happening, Migs?’ I was too frustrated at that time and yet all he can say was that he’s sorry and hugged me. I felt hot liquid in the bare skin of my shoulder. He was crying.