"What are you two... That close?" Lucerius asked dumbfoundedly, settling back in his chair.

"Does that surprise you?" Dayraena thought her brother had at least guessed about her and Damon's relationship.

Reyena gave her seat at the table to the prince. He knew how to play cyvasse, since he was a frequent visitor to the Free Cities, but the woman just wanted to watch her brother lose. She watched the active game, resting her thigh on the balcony railing and popping grapes into her mouth. And soon Lucerius piled exhaustedly on the back of his chair, accepting defeat and shaking hands with his highness.

On the day when the cure for Viserys was finally ready and tried (Dayraena had to try it on herself first), the king held a small feast in honor of his healer, where the closest people were invited, for outsiders were not supposed to know about his grace's illness. And the small number of people more than pleased Lady Gelarion. She spoke with Viserys, gave Daera the potion recipe so she could replenish her supply, and then took a long spin around the hall with Rhaenyra. They spent that night together with Damon, lying on her bed and discussing at length the journey beyond the Narrow Sea that would change their lives completely.

However, a week full of happiness and serenity was coming to an end and after four more days, it was time for Dayraena to inform her loved ones of the last day they would be able to spend together.

"Hello sweet sister," Dayra smiled cordially as she opened her arms, and without hesitation, Dayraena fell into the younger Gelarion's arms.

Lucerius walked over to them, greeting Rhaena with a slight nod. He had always been very attentive to his kin, so there was no hiding the slight swelling of sister's eyelids from his eyes. The man frowned, wondering about the reason his older sister might be shedding tears, but came to no conclusion. Dayraena rarely cried, which made what was happening even more disturbing to his younger brother. Could it have been Daemon? Or could it be...

"Had that day really come?"

Dayraena lifted her head from her own shoulder and looked up at Lucerius. Dayraena stared first at her husband and then slowly shifted her gaze to her sister, shaking her head disbelievingly. The hands around the woman's shoulders seemed petrified, letting her know that her younger sister was tensely waiting for her answer.

"Yes, I'm leaving tonight."

"Is that what you've been crying about?" Lucerius asked softly, moving closer to Reyena and putting his arm around her.

The woman nodded and looked down, remembering the feeling of light sadness that had come over her upon waking. The realization that she and Daemon would be going on their long-awaited flight the next morning was warm and invigorating, but it also brought a sense of longing that pressed against her chest. Yes, she was crying. Crying because she couldn't imagine how she would cope with being separated from the closest people in the world. Her family. The people who love her for who she is. Of course, in Essos, Mayrea would be waiting for her. A brave and cheerful sister who Rayena was sure would throw a whole feast to celebrate the arrival of the eldest and most beloved member of the family. It was comforting, giving her hope that it would be easier to endure the separation from Dayra, Lucerius, Aeneria, and Rhaenyra.

"Oh, Reyna," the Lady of the Isle of Fire sighed and touched her forehead to her sister's, closing her eyes for a moment. "I am infinitely glad you are going on this long journey, but my heart is breaking."