THREE

DON'T BLAME ME.
03. ❛ mentors.

THE CAPITOL ANTHEM SOUNDED through the speakers to alert everyone in the building that the Reaping Ceremony was about to begin. Seraphina sat slightly straighter in her seat and watched as Highbottom hurried forward and sat on the step between her and Sejanus' legs, his wide eyes looking up at the screens.

Seraphina inhaled sharply and moved her feet to the side so the Dean would have space to sit, sharing a look with Sejanus as she did so. Looking up with a shake of her head, she watched as the screens at the top of the wall above showed a girl standing on the right and a boy standing on the left, their names at the bottom of the screen with a small banner.

Highbottom cleared his throat and glanced at the papers he held in his slightly trembling hands. "District One, boy, goes to... Livia Cardew."

Livia's pointed little face broke into a grin, and she punched the air in victory, shouting "Yes!" in her shrill voice. She had always been prone to gloating as if the plum assignment was solely a reflection on her and not on her mother running the largest bank in the Capitol.

Seraphina rolled her eyes with a scoff. She despised Livia. She was always throwing herself at Coriolanus and trying to destroy Seraphina's life in any way she could.

But everyone knew that Coriolanus Snow belonged to Seraphina Embry; even if he didn't know that himself, they all knew. It was just a shame that Livia didn't care, but that was her choice; anyway, Seraphina already made a public embarrassment of the girl after she was caught all up on Coriolanus.

"Girl goes to Palmyra Monty." More applause broke out as Highbottom read down the list. "District Two, boy... how apt. Boy goes to Sejanus Plinth—"

Seraphina whipped her head towards her curly-haired brunette friend, who kept his face stern, not an ounce of joy or pleasure written on it. Seraphina, on the other hand, had her brows raised, clearly thinking that the only reason Sejanus got a good tribute was because of his father. Old Strabo Plinth's deep pockets and influence were respected if his lineage was not. And while the mentorships were supposedly based on merit, strings clearly had been pulled.

Coriolanus leaned over and muttered, "You got the pick of the litter."

"You forget, I'm part of that litter," Sejanus replied hoarsely, his eyes now downcast as Seraphina frowned at his state. She just let out a sigh and listened as the Dean continued.

"Four, boy, Seraphina Embry."

Unlike Livia, Seraphina received news of her good fortune with tact and had a slight look of relief on her face, looking up at her assigned tribute. Four was good. Four produced fishermen; they had to be strong for that. The name 'Brian' was on the banner underneath his face. He was built, handsome, and had a slight smirk on his face, but to a trained eye like Seraphina's, you could see the fear behind his warm, light brown eyes.

"Girl, Festus Creed." Festus shrugged with his face nonchalant as he glanced up at his tribute with short hair; her name was Coral.

Seraphina hadn't realized that she zoned out some other tributes, but her ears picked up at another one assigned to someone she knew. "Eleven, boy, Clemensia Dovecote."

The girl on the other side of Coriolanus looked down at her lap with a smile tugging at her lips. The boy seemed strong and tried to wrestle out of some Peacekeeper's grip.