thirteen

liara was awoken by some rumbling. sitting up with her hair standing wildly, she saw a ring of fire around her.

quickly jumping up, she tried to blow the flames out, but they just reappeared again, along with four men dressed in white and navy blue robes.

they were all old.

the rest of the team was now also awake, but they seemed relieved to see the four men, causing liara to be even mire confused than she was initially.

liara gripped her staff, "why are we surrounded by old people?" she deadpanned.

katara placed a hand on the airbender's shoulder, "there's aren't just any old people, these are great masters and friends of ours."

she then walked forward and bowed to a balding man with a ponytail, "pakku," she said and the man smiled.

"it is respectful to bow to an old master, but how about a hug for your new grandfather?"

with this, katara smiled brightly, "that's so exciting! you and gran-gran must be so happy!"

pakku nodded, "I made her a new betrothal necklace and everything," he stated before sokka hugged onto him, "welcome to the family, gramp-gramp!" the boy beamed.

pakku let go of the boy, "you can just call me pakku."

katara showed to a man with unruly grey hair, "this was aang's first firebending teacher."

Zuko bowed to the man, and the man returned it, "I'm jeong-jeong."

sokka then bowed to a younger old man, "master piandao." the man smiled, "nice to see you, sokka."

Liara looked at the last man, who seemed much older than the other three, something about him seemed familiar.

"liara! you haven't changed a bit! are you still reading so much!?"

Liara was seated on the palace wall, reading scrolls about a strange airbending form when aang and bumi approached her.

"liara!" the earthbender called, "why are you reading so much?! come and use the delivery system as a slide with us."

Liara looked down at the two boys. "isn't that a bit dangerous?" she asked which caused the two of them to smile wider, "that's what makes if fun!" bumi grinned and behan laughing.

that strange laugh.

"wait.. bumi?" liara narrowed her eyes at the man, who laughed.

that strange laugh.

Liara smiled and hugged the man, "it's been so long! wait.. how do you all know each other?" she asked taking a step back.

"all old people know each other, silly."

piandao began speaking, "we're all part of an ancient society. one that transcends the four nations. "

"the white lotus." zuko mumbled, and bumi smiled, "that's the one." bumi beamed.

"the white lotus has always been about philosophy, beauty and truth." jeong jeong stated, "a month ago, a call went out that we were needed for something important."

pakku nodded, "it came from a grand lotus, your uncle, iroh of the fire nation." he said to zuko.

wait.

Liara walked closer, "did you say iroh?" she asked the older man, brown eyes laced with curiosity.

before he could reply, toph interjected, "that's who we're looking for."