Chapter fifteen.

Začít od začátku

    He tilted his head confusion, eyes darting over to a mildly amused Ted.

    "She's saying you were slow, buddy."

     Ada nodded. "Very."

     "Ain't nothing Coach Soufflé hates more than a slow player."

    Another nod, "Really pisses me off."

     "Ah." Jan Maas slowly began to understand. "Okay, so, I was--"

    "Slow, yes." Ada rose from her seat and approached the board, where the game was being projected. She picked up a red marker and gestured for Beard to hit the small rewind button, raising her hand when she wanted him to pause. "Slow like molasses. Or like a fucking, uh, river of marmite." She drew a red circle around his leg, which stayed on the ground for longer than it should have.

     The team leaned forward slightly as she began drawing a circle around Jan Mass' head. More specifically, the contemplative expression on his face as the ball neared.

     "You need to work on instinct. Your brain's beautiful, I could kiss it, but you're a footballer. Let your lower half think for you." She paused and turned to face them all. "And I mean the lower half that's actually impressive."

    Chuckles echoed around the room. They all needed a break from the suffocating tension that came with loss, and it seemed like everyone understood what she was trying to say about instinct – well, everyone except for Isaac, who clearly misinterpreted the lesson and mistook her constructive critique for authoritarian criticism.

   "Jan Maas, you're not focusing!"

    Ada squinted. "No, he's actually focusing too much--" She shook her head and looked over at Ted, gesturing for him to take the lead. He pat her on the shoulder as they brushed past each other, her moving back towards her seat and him moving to stand at the front of the room.

   "Fellas, listen," Ted cleared his throat to garner their drifting attention. "I don't care what our record is, but I hear the chatter. People are saying there's something wrong with us. Not the way I see it, okay? And here's why: I believe in communism." That earned confused glances from most, a firm nod from Jan Maas, and an intrigued head tilt from Ada. "Rom-communism, that is."

   "Uh, what is this rom-communism?" Bumbercatch had to wonder aloud, exchanging a look with Dani.

   Ted grinned. "Well, Bumbercatch, it is a worldview that reminds us that romantic comedies with folks like Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan, or, uh, Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant or, um--" He turned to his best friend. "Who am I missing, Coach?"

   But it was Richard that answered, hand raised like a pupil. "Drew Barrymore."

    "Matthew McConaughey, obviously." Zoreaux voiced from his place at the front.

  Ted quickly looked to Ada, knowing she would appreciate the reference. "Some folks say he's alright, alright, alright."

    She nodded appreciatively. "Dazed and Confused. His best movie."

    "Uh, no," Jamie scoffed. "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, easily." He turned to Ted before his sister could argue. "Also, the three Kates."

    "Yeah, Beckinsale, Hudson, Winslet." Colin listed, glancing around the room. "In no specific order, of course." That earned him a soft pat on the shoulder from Jamie, who sat in the row behind him.

   "Forgot Blanchett." Nate muttered.

    Beard turned to him, and shook his head as if offended. "Different spelling."