"Okay."

So she told Clint about you, from the start and her apprehension, to her deep investigation into your background, to the moment you shared with her about the Battle of New York. Everything up to your new boy-friend, spare some intimate messages she didn't think were necessary to bring up.

Throughout the whole ordeal of Nat expressing her concern for her unidentifiable emotions, Clint had been looking at her with surprise and she tried her best to ignore the small smirk that slowly grew bigger on his face. However, Clint's obnoxious face made it impossible to ignore and eventually Nat gave in

"What?"

The word only made Clint shake his head silently which irked her further, she hated when he had some sort of leverage over her, his teasing was unbearable and annoying. She couldn't imagine her life without it though.

"Nat I never thought I'd get to say this but- You're jealous"

Nat's annoyance was quickly accompanied by confusion.

"Jealous?" The very thought felt foolish, Nat very rarely felt jealous over anything. Most days she just felt lucky to be alive and surrounded by people who didn't judge her for her past. "Jealous of what?" she huffed

"Of this guy Y/n's hanging out with" Clint fixed her with a look that said 'obviously' and she resisted the urge to tase him in the side just to wipe the smirk from his face. She came to him because she didn't know what she was feeling and he was making fun of her instead.

"Why would I be jealous of him? From what I've heard he's got nothing going for him. He seems...bland and unoriginal, which doesn't fit Y/n's style. She deserves better than that"

Clint stared at her for a second and then immediately burst into unstoppable laughter, faking wiping a tear from his eye. She'd leveled him with a look that had him quickly clearing his throat, though the smirk never faded from his face.

"You like her"

Nat glared, annoyed at the obvious observation "of course I like her"

Clint had a sort of glee in his eyes she only saw when he was talking to his kids, it irked her that he found so much pleasure in having to describe her situation to her.

"No Nat, You like-like her"

She rolled her eyes "We're not twelve Clint"

As he chuckled, a small amount of his amusement disappeared as he began to understand just how foreign something like this might be for someone who never got to experience love before.

It's because of that fact that Clint decided to try a different approach

"Okay, how about this- how do you feel when she doesn't text back?"

Nat shifted in her seat, considering it for a moment

"I get...bored I guess- I've gotten used to texting her, I don't know what to do with my phone when she's not texting"

Clint nodded, feeling excited for his friend to finally have someone special. Although he was definitely going to look into you to double check you were safe.

"Do you ever find yourself laughing at her jokes even if they're really bad?"

Nodding, Nat let a small smile warm on her features as she recalled various bad jokes you'd attempted.

If anyone else had been telling her those jokes she probably would have sat there stone-faced until they felt uncomfortable enough to leave, but your pure delight when you'd sent her the messages had her chuckling at the stupidest anecdotes.

"How do you feel when you look at her?"

Nat stilled, playing with her fingers as she bit the inside of her cheek. Clint's eyes widened at the realization

"Shit Nat, you've never even seen the girl?"

"I don't need your judgment Clint" She clipped

He put his hands up in surrender "I'm not judging, I just- you've never even seen this girl and you've got romantic feelings for her"

The silence that hung in the air was palpable with a tension that probably couldn't be cut by Nat's best knife. The two spies leveled each other with their gazes. One of understanding and one of disbelief.

"...I'm not in love, Clint."

Clint choked on his spit.

The words tasted bitter in her mouth. All her life Nat had been trained to think that love was a weakness, a sickness. Sometimes it felt like a sickness in her chest when she talked to you. The heavy feeling in her chest, her pulse increasing, speechlessness. She was pretty sure those were all symptoms of a pretty bad illness.

Love was not something she could afford.

An ironic thing for someone who had a billionaire on speed dial to say.

"Jesus- I don't mean love, Nat. At least, not yet. But it's obvious you feel strongly for the girl"

Liking you romantically?... She considered the thought, the way it made her heart race. In fear or hope she couldn't decipher. She was terrified. Terrified at the idea of someone so new knowing her so intimately. Terrified at how much power you had over her.

A Crush? On You? She felt heat unconsciously rise to her cheeks but panic began to rise in her chest.

She'd never had a crush before.

Usually she was so confident around everyone but you left her flustered.

Could she allow herself to be that vulnerable? Could she allow herself to develop something more with you? What if you didn't like her back? ...What if you did?

She wasn't as opposed to the idea as she thought she would have been...

Maybe she did have a Crush on you.

Nat tried to hide her flustered smile as Clint stared at her with a satisfied smile.

The thought that it was more than just a crush made a dangerous appearance that she quickly shot down. Because she couldn't be feeling more than that could she?

She'd admit she harbors a connection with you that runs deeper than she'd ever anticipated but-

Can you really develop feelings for someone you've never met?

Suddenly, Friday interrupted over the intercom, informing them of an urgent mission that required both of them.

Nat was grateful for the interruption, although there was part of her that felt conflicted, knowing your reaction to her leaving wouldn't be pleasant.

A/n: -Sorry no meet-up yet, Slowburn is the best kind of torture~Starry