"Dadda-" Abhir was out of breath when he landed in the living room. The salty sweat burned his eyes, but he could faintly make out his father kneeling in front of Roohi and Ayra. Mahi was close behind him. A cool wave of relief washed over as he realized Abhimanyu meant those words for his sisters. Manjari rubbed his back to compose himself while Harsh handed him a water bottle. "Thanks, Dida aur Dadu."

"Abhir, kya hua?" Dida asked.

"Kuch nahi, main bus Dadu se milne ki jaldi thi." Abhir dug himself into his grandfather's chest, hiding away from the skeptical eyes of Abhimanyu and Roohi.

----------------------

'Maybe I'm not alright with everything,' Abhir thought as he talked to his Mumma and Papa's portrait before bed.

"Not alright with what?" Abhimanyu leaned against Abhir's open door.

"With the thought of you saying those words to anyone but Mumma." Abhir's voice was faint, and Abhimanyu had him repeat it twice before he understood. Abhir was afraid Abhimanyu would be disappointed with him - another child causing problems and all. Abhimanyu surprised him with a smile.

"Not even your sisters?" Abhir was mute.

"You know when I first said those words, your mother had no response. She was present, but her mind was elsewhere. Perhaps with your papa or just uncomfortable with our arrangement. We moved past it after a while, but that silence still irks me." Abhir rested his palm on Abhimanyu's hand.

"When I told Mahi how I felt, she did the same. She was mum and bewildered." Abhimanyu saw sympathy in his son's eyes but refused to allow his life to be a story of unrequited love. "But your sisters always welcomed me with unconditional, unwavering love. Agar ye shabd kisi ke liya sahi hai, toh mere teen bacho ke liya. Jo meri jaan se badkar aur meri har mohabbat ka sila hai."

Ayra and Roohi found the father-son duo in Abhir's bedroom and crashed their hug.

"How dare they have a special moment without us?", Roohi pouted. Abhimanyu swooped the girls into a group hug. This was his happiness. This was his soul. He'll forever be indebted to Akshara for giving him these three relations and Mahi for reminding him of their priceless worth.

"Are you scared?" Ayra asked. While she struggled with the thought of sharing her father and inviting someone new into their family, she couldn't bear the thought of her father being defeated.

"Of what?" Abhimanyu asked.

"Tomorrow, the two months end." Abhimanyu didn't realize his children were keeping count. They were. Roohi is excited for Abhimanyu and Mahi, believing that they have a beautiful future ahead of them. Abhir hopes to support his father's efforts. And Ayra, curious about what tomorrow holds, cannot battle competing considerations of discomfort and hope.

"I'm not." As he hugged his children tight, he knew he would be okay, irrespective of the results. His children were enough.

------------------------

"Abhimanyu, aap yahan?" His spontaneous presence at their doorstep stumped Sanjeeda (aka Tayi Ammi). He shifted his weight from one foot to another. The Mehra's and family had a way of keeping him on edge.

"Ji woh," Abhimanyu gulped. There was something about the young and the elderly that brought Abhimanyu down to his knees. He was gentler with them. Softer. Maybe it was because both saw through him.

"Mahi yahan nahi hai, beta. Woh Naaz ke saath bahar hai." Gurpreet called out. While she loved seeing people grow intimidated around Sanjeeda, it was pitiful to leave Abhimanyu out there.

"Ji, jaanta hoon. Mujhe aap se baat karni thi." Sanjeeda stepped aside to let Abhimanyu come in.

"Aap se bhi, Tayi Ammi." He stopped Sanjeeda from retreating to her quarters. The women shared a look indiscernible to Abhimanyu.

"Kahiye." Sanjeeda prompted as she and Gurpreet sat across from him on the couch, poised and focused. For once, Ellie was sympathetic to his plight and rubbed against his legs. The cat arched her spine up and purred, easing his heart.

"Aapse maafi maangni thi, uss raat ke liya." For days, Mahi's words haunted him. He'd been reckless with his declarations many times, and the cost was too heavy.

"It's okay." Gurpreet handed him a cup of chai.

"It's not. I should've thought it through. It wasn't appropriate." They nodded. "Magar mere jazbaat sache the. I love her." Abhimanyu stated it factually. He expected Gurpreet to roll her eyes or Sanjeeda to grimace but they smiled.

"Jaanti hoon." Gurpreet said.

"Aur aapko bura nahi laga?" Sanjeeda knew the question was directed at her. The absence of a marriage licence between Mahi and Hamza could not negate Mahi's role as her Bahu and Beti.

"Nahin. Humari Mahi hai hi itni pyaari ki kisi ko bhi usse bepanaah mohabbat ho sakti hai."

"Woh toh hai." Images of Mahi twirling in her sahrara suit, dancing seductively in her red dress, and fawning over Ayra on her birthday flooded his vision. Each shade of hers was distinct yet equally beautiful.

"Waise bhi, Gurpreet aur main toh takh gaye the uske liya rishte dhoonte. Kab tak woh akeli rehti." The empty cup fell to the ground, and Ellie hissed, scattering away. Her tail was fluffed double her size.

"Kya hua?" Gurpreet asked. Abhimanyu took the broom Sanjeeda and started cleaning the glass shards.

"You wanted her to move on?"

"Haan."

He abandoned all care when he heard Gurpreet's 'haan.' A shard pierced his skin, and blood oozed out of his finger. Mahi repeatedly pulled away from him, saying I can't do that to Tayi Ammi. It was a lie.

Abhimanyu thought she was different from Akshara. She wasn't. They both lied unabashedly at his expense. They hid behind their families and ran from their feelings.

'I really do have a type,' his heart seared at the thought.

We are nearing the end!!! For all those who stuck along with me, thank you so much!