~ 33 ~

Mahi listened to the rise and fall of Abhimanyu's chest, trying to pave a path for her feelings. She envied how peacefully he slept, yet the thought of him agitated ached. It was nearing six, and she grew antsy, knowing her mothers were soon to awake. As amusing as it was, the thought of kicking him awake didn't feel right. So, she waited.

"This is torture for you? Isn't it?" At her ninth sigh, Abhimanyu couldn't resist teasing her. Staying stagnant irked her like no other, so to see her wait for him meant something. In some ways, it felt like Akshara all over again - the denial of feelings, the chase, and the struggle. In other ways, it was easier. Mahi never lied or crumpled his heart like a scrap piece of paper. Mahi was murky and bound, but she never lied or crumpled his heart like a scrap piece of paper. Every time his hope simmered, her actions gave it fuel.

Mahi's eyes shot open, and blood rushed to her face. 'Was he awake the whole time?' She wondered. 'Did he know I was watching him?' She feared.

"No..." She bit her lip. "If it were, I'd kick you awake."

"Kick? I think you mean kiss," he leaned forward, grazing her neck, about to place a small kiss when Mahi jabbed her elbow in his chest.

"Damn, those extra hours at the gym are paying off."

"Badmashi maat karo warna sab ko yahan call karogi."

"Hawww!" Abhimanyu acted all innocent, and she sneered. "Karlo."

"What?" His nonchalance wiped the smirk off her face. He gestured to their position. She was on top of him with her elbow against his neck, entrapping him beneath her lean frame.

"Haan. Tayi Ammi aur Aunty bhi dekhe unki ladli kya ghul kila rahi hai." He eyed her bedhead, the way he curls framed her fame, and the sun shone, turning her caramel eyes into glistening honey. It was a sight second to none.

"Hmph." She sulked and got off. "Niklo." She opened the window wide for him.

"No chai ya coffee? Kaisi hospitality hai?"

"Majnu bane ka shauk hai na?" He nodded feverishly. "Toh majnu giri mein chai khud banao aur woh bhi yahan se dur."

"Mah-" She slammed the window shut and rested her back against it, afraid she might call him back if she saw him leave. For him, it was enough that she had to fight herself not to look back. Had she walked away in an instant, he might have started believing it was all a lie - that his presence was negligent in her life.

----------------------

Weeks flew by in their challenge, and nothing changed. Abhimanyu would show up and steal her away to an enchanted world. She'd wrap him in a blanket when the winds grew harsh, like on Harsh's return.

When Harsh returned, Abhimanyu stood back, apprehensive of the man before him. Mahi slid her hand into his, supporting him as they watched Roohi and Ayra jump into their grandfather's arms.

In the years following Akshara's death, Harsh mellowed out. He wouldn't admit it, but Akshara changed him, and in her absence, he couldn't subject her children to Abhimanyu's childhood. So, Roohi, Abhir and Ayra knew him as a benevolent grandfather while Abhimanyu struggled to bury the hatchet.

"Agar aap shaam ho toh meri zindagi ki pehli, dusri, aur akhri shaam ho." Abhir had just approached the Birla house gate after late football practice when he heard his father utter those words in the distance. His heart fell. Abhir adored Mahi and accepted his father's feelings, but this he could not. That proclamation was for his mother, Akshara. For his father to say the same to another insulted Akshara and Mahi. Abhir bolted to find his father and stop him.