"Be quiet," the main guard snapped, tone icy. "You're lucky your brother is in the high ranks and convinced Chancellor Paige to let you come. If it was up to me, you'd be sitting right here without even a goodbye."

I rolled my eyes, his words merely bouncing off of me with no lasting effect. He couldn't hurt me— Ava would fire him for harming a subject.

I complied when Len forced me to walk very, very slowly about five yards behind Newt and the other two guards. I kept my chin high and didn't show any more emotion. I didn't need to give them the satisfaction of teasing me, which they did to all of us more often than not.

We walked through the white halls, shoes making small clicking sounds on the tile as we moved. Fluorescent lights dimly lit the way until we reached a metal door, which was unlocked by a scanner from the rude guy's badge that was attached to his belt.

The door opened with a buzz and my eyes widened as I walked into a room I'd only been in once before, many years ago. It was terribly dark, the lights barely casting enough to make shadows. There were scientists standing around with clipboards in hand and white lab coats pristine against the lack of light.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a swish of familiar black hair. "Teresa!"

She turned, saw me, and dropped her professional facade. Her bright blue eyes flickered with recognition and shock before she quickly made her way to me, scooping me in a hug. When she let go, her voice dropped to a whisper. "What are you doing here?"

"Thomas got me in," I replied quietly, noticing the fear apparent on her pale, freckled face.

She sighed in relief, the tension in her shoulders releasing. "Oh, thank God. I thought you were getting sent to the Glade." Then she went rigid like she said something she wasn't supposed to, and quickly added, "Early. I thought you were getting sent to the Glade early."

I shook my head, confused, but I let it slide. Thomas came up behind me and pulled me to his side, a small, timid smile on his face. I turned around and hugged him tightly. I hope he knew how much gratitude I had towards him for convincing them to let me come. "Thank you."

"No problem," he said while squeezing me tightly, picking me up and swinging me back and forth so my head spun. I let him go upon noticing that Alby, Minho, Newt, and a couple others were being prepped for extraction, my feet dropping to the ground with a snap. My heartbeat quickened. It was happening.

"We have to get back to work," Teresa said, patting my shoulder, "but you can stand over there." She pointed and I followed her finger to see a small, open space right in front. I nodded at her and slipped between people until I got to the space. It was just big enough for me, and I could see everything that was going on.

A doctor was taking samples of Minho's blood, a needle injected into the underside of his elbow as it was drawn. He looked around until he saw me, and he gave me an anxious look. I was sad at his departure- Minho and I always had fun breaking the rules together. At least when I arrived, we'd be able to do it again.

I shot him an encouraging smile, which dropped as soon as the needle was removed and he climbed into the metal box. Next were some people I didn't know, and then Alby. Newt was the last.

A doctor took his blood. His eyes looked around until they landed on me. And I did the one thing I wasn't supposed to.

I lost it.

All the tears I had pent up over the past few days, ever since they told us they'd be starting the experiment early, came flooding out. Newt's face fell and his boyfriendly instinct to come comfort me kicked in. But when he tried to come forward, the doctor grabbed his forearm and forced him to stay.