-/-

I was sitting in the plain white room again, staring blankly at the floor with my hands folded into my lap and back straight as a board. The hard bed I was sitting on provided little comfort for what I knew was about to happen. My breathing was deep and controlled, and I didn't even think I was blinking.

Slowly, the door on the opposite wall creaked open, and a certain blond boy stuck his head in. My eyes flickered to see him, and I instantly shook out of the daze and stood, relief washing the stress away. "Newt."

He stepped inside and softly closed the door, making as little sound as possible. His feet padded softly over to me and I took in the fact that he was wearing...color. He had a dark blue t-shirt that fit him very well and black skinny jeans with matching running shoes. It was so weird to see him in something other than white, which was pretty much the only color I'd seen in almost nine years.

He leaned down and wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me to him in a caring embrace. I stood on my toes and put my own arms around his neck, placing my chin on his shoulder and mumbling, "You aren't supposed to be here."

"I had to see you," he whispered, then pulled away and held me at arm's length, his dark eyes looking straight into mine. "But listen. Thomas convinced Paige to let you come. You just aren't allowed to, quote, 'lose it.'"

I smiled weakly, noting that I'd have to thank my brother when I saw him. I wondered how long he had to beg the Chancellor's ear off this time. "Well, I can't promise anything." I paused, thinking about how different my life would be in about an hour. Everything would change. "What if when I go up there, I'll be attracted to, like, Minho or something."

"Or Gally," Newt joked. I rolled my eyes, which made him laugh. But suddenly he turned serious and put both his hands on the sides of my face. "But don't worry. I won't let that happen." He cracked a smile. "I'll woo you over with my charm a second time."

I rolled my eyes again and scoffed. "I think it was me who" —I put up air quotes — "'whooed you over', Newt."

He shrugged. "Can't deny it."

I let out a shaking breath as things became quiet between us. Finally, the reality was sinking in like a dead weight into my heart. "I can't believe it. It's actually happening. You're leaving me."

Newt used his hands on my face to tilt my chin up so I was looking right into his eyes, which held a dull sadness in them now. "Listen to me. We will see each other again. We will. At least that's a given."

"Nearly two years from now," I reminded him.

"Don't worry," he said calmly, "I'd wait more than a few years for you if that's what it takes."

I opened my mouth to reply, but before I could, Newt had already leaned down to match my height and brought my lips to his in a gentle kiss.

And the door opened with a bang, making us jump apart and turn toward the noise. Three W.I.C.K.E.D guards stood, unfazed, at what they had walked in on.

"Subject A5, we have come for extraction," one of them said with a deep, gravelly voice. He then turned to me. "You're allowed to follow behind with Len."

The guard of whom I guessed was Len stepped forward, nodding to me. He had a weird and unflattering buzz cut and dark skin that was littered with stress lines, corners of his mouth pulled into a permanent frown.

Newt gave my hand a reassuring squeeze before releasing it and walking solemnly with the guards.

"'Subject A5?'" I questioned angrily. "It's Newt."