Her favourite space was the master bedroom with the bold deep forest green trim around the windows that connected with the splashes of green in the velvet cushions on the sweeping curved white sofa. The alternating ocean blue cushions brought the outside in, without trying to steal the show.

The bed, a California King had a carved headboard that stood out. "Oh my god," she said before laughing. She climbed on the bed to take a closer look, convinced she was seeing things. "Carter, do you see what I see?"

She watched as his confusion gave way to a wide grin.

Silence followed by a loud laugh as he climbed onto the bed next to her.

"It's obscene but subtle," he added.

With her eyes tracing the headboard in sick fascination, she heard someone clear their throat behind her. A wave of dread washed through her, and with lowered eyes, she turned and saw the nicely polished shoes that belonged to Carlos Everton. She pictured herself as Carlos might; a giggling girl on the bed looking at dirty pictures with a man. She had no words.

"Mr Everton, it's good to see you again," Carter said with a wide smile as he climbed off the bed easily.

Michaela floundered like an ungainly seal on land as she tried to follow him.

"Michaela?"

Michaela stilled at the gruff, impatient voice, reluctantly looking up through her lashes to see the outstretched hand of her boss. She took it and in one smooth tug, found herself righted on her feet with his warm hands stabilising her.

"Thank you," she mumbled, stepping out of his grasp a little too quickly. Self-consciously she started to smooth down her dress unable to bring herself to meet Carlos' eyes.

"The guests are starting to arrive. Make your way down to the galley."

"Yes, Sir." Michaela heard her meek reply and sighed at her own awkwardness. Once she and Carter were beyond the hallway to the bedrooms, they burst out laughing.

"I thought I was too old to feel like the naughty kid caught looking at dirty magazines," Carter said in a conspiratorial whisper.

Michaela bumped shoulders with him in agreement. Their tour ended in the modern galley where she collected one of the serving platters for that evening. It was a hive of activity with caterers busily preparing the delicate treats which were as much an expression of art as it was nourishment.

She looked for their Bosun amongst the crew who were idling just outside of the galley waiting for instruction. She wanted to introduce Carter to Dan.

Instead of finding him, she found Carlos approaching the spread-out group with Jenny on his arm.

"Hello everyone," Carlos directed his words to the crew, and she rolled her eyes at Sonja who all but fell over herself trying to hold his attention as his gaze drifted across each of them.

"Before you head out to greet our guests, I wanted you all to meet the drive behind the hElixir, Jenny Everton. She will also be your talented Chef once the season starts, alternating with another."

Michaela ignored Carlos with all the focus she could muster and smiled at Jenny. She looked beautiful in a shimmering silver dress that complemented the tan skin that Michaela took a moment to envy. Her own pale skin, which she had come to 'appreciate', was too delicate for the work she chose in the outdoors, and she had to work hard to keep it protected.

"Mike?" Jenny asked not quite believing her eyes. She looked to Carlos for verification and Michaela swore she could see a light behind her eyes.

"Michaela is Mike?" She heard her ask Carlos in almost whispered disbelief before she laughed and touched Carlos in an easy sisterly way. She kissed him on the cheek and whispered something in his ear that had Carlos clearing his throat.

Michaela did not like the awkward feeling of knowing the exchange was about her. She looked down and shifted her feet nervously. It was all in her head, she told herself smartly, refusing to look at Sonja whose glare she could feel as physically as the pretty heels that had pinched her toes earlier.

She avoided both Carlos and Jenny once the speeches and introductions were completed. While sneaking a peek at them from afar, she was surprised to find herself lifted off the ground in a bear hug.

"I missed you too," she said when Dan finally put her down. Over his shoulder, she could see both Carlos and Jenny studying her. She didn't want to feel like she had to clear up the obvious misunderstanding she saw brewing behind Carlos' eyes. It meant something if she felt she had to – didn't it?

"Why are you dressed like this? And why didn't I know you were coming? I could have brought you in with me."

"She had a ride," Carlos answered smoothly.