Chapter One

Kai Thomson

It's the day before the last day of school, I can make it through today and tomorrow. I brushed my teeth and took a short hot shower. When I got out I quickly dried off And got dressed. I slipped on my shoes and left my backpack home. I wouldn't need it anyways. I grabbed and Apple and before I walked out the door my mother stopped me. "Kai! I need to talk to you after school." She said plainly. "Am I in trouble?" I asked. She shook her head. "No, no. It's just an important talk we need to have. Have a good day at school darling." She said and warmly kissed me on the forehead.

----

"Dude this great, you passed! " I said ecstatic. He shrugged" pfft I really don't care. It's nothing." He said. "Yea okay Jake, you must have worked your ass off. To change your grades from a d to a B in almost a week's time. " he snickered. "Please, I had kikaru do it for me. " I nodded. Typical Jake, all he does in his free time is surf, work out, and get laid. As the hallways cleared out I saw a person walking out of the corner of my eye. It was reflex to see who it was. "Well, look here." Jake said. "It's speed racer!" I laughed. He cornered her against the lockers in the hallway. She clenched onto her books tightly but the force of Jake's hands were enough to make them scatter all over the floor. "Where are you gonna run now?" He whispered againsed her ear. You could tell what he wanted. But I wouldn't let him get that far. I couldn't stop him from doing something though. She cleared her throat and 're-adjusted her stance. "Just go away Jake. " she said softly. He grabbed a hold of her wrist tightly. "Make me." He spat.letting go quickly and kicking her in the leg. She immediately fell to the ground and Jake was impatiently waiting for me to do something. I gripped her arm even harder pulling her up and my grip became so tight my knuckles began to turn white. "Come on," I said huskily. "Run away now. " she shut her eyes tightly and finally let out a whimper. "Kai, p-please stop!" She said and this time a bit louder. "Let go!". Her green eyes met mine and instantly I let go. A sudden feeling of guilt washed over me. I brushed my fingers over the area where I hurt her arm casually. She winced slightly when I saw other things on her arm too. She took a deep breath and picked up her books walking out of the school. Jake laughed from behind me. Finding this situation funny. "What?!" I snapped. He chuckled again. "Woah, is someone defending her?" He asked. "Hey, you have done this all of freshman through junior year, what makes you feel so bad now?" He asked.
I forced a laugh. "Nothing, I don't." I popped my knuckles again. He laughed" than I suppose you wouldn't care if we did it again?" He challenged. I nodded. "Nope, not at all."------

--- Flashback

"It's the first day if freshman year, you'll be fine." My sister assured me. She's a senior so it's easy for her to say that. I nodded. And walked off to find Jake. Jake met up with me at our lockers. The best part, was our lockers were only one locker away from each other. So it was easy to talk. And we had 6 classes together. I turned to look for my sister again, but bumped into a girl with blonde, wavy hair that met a little above her waist. She has the most vibrant green eyes. And perfect- "sorry." She mumbled. I opened my mouth to say something" y-yeah, n-No it's no problem. " I said. Helping her pick up her books. I handed them to her and she lightly smiled and scurried away. It was obvious she was New. And not from here. I think that's when I knew I had no chance with her. - end of flashback

Looking back now, I know I had.an opportunity. -to be her friend. That was just some petty freshman crush. I'm so over it now.

After lunch rolled around I still couldn't stop thinking about her. My eyes scanned the room for her and she was still knowere to be found. We will see after lunch if she left already. Untill then I think I would roam the halls. Because I can't eat right now.
I can't exactly let them know I'm bothered by the freak either. Freak, bit of an overstatement really, wayyy. But that's how your supposed to see her. I passed by the theater and decided to check my locker. It was nearly empty besides the picture on the side of me and my sister...kalea. she died her freshman year of college.she got into a car with her friends after a party, and there was a drunk driver...the car caught on fire,and her friend got out...but she didn't. And my father, blamed me. Of course. Because everything's my fault right? Well, my mom wouldn't have it. So she threw him out and now he married and moved to Iowa. She didn't deserve to die, she shouldn't have. Its a tragedy that will forever mark my family. Ever since we have had financial issues. I'd prefer not to think about it actually. I took the picture down and placed it in my backpack. I grabbed my geometry ,and algebra books. I made my way up the stairs and to our hallway. I made it just in time for lunch to be over. I made it early for class and started on our assignment on the board.

--------

"Mom, I'm back. You wanted to talk?" I asked. She yelled back from the living room. "Yes, I'm in the living room darling. " I sighed and walked in....this must be important.