Lenora

My name is Lenora, and I am a vampire. I was not always like this, of course. I was once a human girl, living in a small village on the island of Guadalcanal, long before the white men came and changed everything. I was born in the time of the beginning of the Central Solomon languages, when our people spoke a different tongue than the ones you hear today. I was happy in my village, surrounded by my family and friends, until the day he came.

He was a stranger, unlike anyone I had ever seen. He had pale skin, dark hair, and piercing eyes that seemed to look right through me. He said he was a traveler, exploring the islands and learning about our culture. He was friendly and charming, and soon he won the trust of the elders and the admiration of the young. He took a special interest in me, and I was flattered by his attention. He taught me many things, about the world beyond our shores, about history and science and art. He also taught me about love, or so I thought.

One night, he took me to a secluded spot by the beach, where we could watch the stars and listen to the waves. He kissed me softly, and I felt a surge of warmth in my chest. He whispered sweet words in my ear, and I felt a pang of longing in my heart. He bit me gently, and I felt a shock of pain in my neck. He drank from me deeply, and I felt a coldness in my veins. He stopped and smiled, and I felt a numbness in my mind. He said he loved me, and I felt nothing at all.

He told me he had given me a gift, the gift of immortality. He said he had made me his companion, his partner, his mate. He said we would leave the island together, and travel the world as we pleased. He said we would never grow old, never get sick, never die. He said we would be happy, forever.

I believed him, for I had no choice. He had taken my blood, my life, my soul. He had turned me into a vampire, a creature of the night, a predator of the living. He had made me his, and I could not resist him.

We left the island that night, leaving behind my village, my family, my friends. We boarded a ship that took us to Honiara, the capital of the Solomon Islands. There, we blended in with the crowds, hiding our true nature from the unsuspecting humans. We fed on them, taking only what we needed, careful not to draw attention. We lived in a small apartment, pretending to be a normal couple. We waited for the right time to move on, to find a new place, a new adventure, a new prey.

But I was not happy, not at all. I missed my home, my people, my language. I hated what I had become, what he had made me. I hated him, for lying to me, for using me, for controlling me. I hated myself, for letting him, for following him, for loving him.

I wanted to escape, but I did not know how. He was stronger than me, faster than me, smarter than me. He could read my thoughts, feel my emotions, manipulate my actions. He was always watching me, always with me, always in me. He was my maker, my master, my mate.

I was his prisoner, his puppet, his pet.

That is, until I met you.

You were different, unlike anyone I had ever seen. You had tan skin, blond hair, and kind eyes that seemed to look right at me. You said you were a journalist, writing a story about Honiara and its history. You were curious and brave, and soon you won my interest and my respect. You took a special interest in me, and I was surprised by your attention. You taught me many things, about yourself and your life, about freedom and hope and faith. You also taught me about love, or so I hope.

One night, you took me to a secluded spot by the beach, where we could watch the stars and listen to the waves. You kissed me softly, and I felt a surge of warmth in my chest. You whispered sweet words in my ear, and I felt a pang of longing in my heart. You hugged me gently, and I felt a shock of pain in my neck. You saw the bite marks, and I felt a coldness in my veins. You stopped and gasped, and I felt a numbness in my mind. You said you loved me, and I felt nothing at all.

I told you the truth, the truth about me and him. I told you I was a vampire, a creature of the night, a predator of the living. I told you he was my maker, my master, my mate. I told you we had to leave, to get away from him, before he found us. I told you we could be happy, together.

You believed me, for you had a choice. You had your blood, your life, your soul. You had not been turned into a vampire, a creature of the night, a predator of the living. You had not been made his, and you could resist him.

You agreed to leave with me, to help me escape. You boarded a ship that took us away from Honiara, away from the Solomon Islands. There, we hoped to find a new home, a new life, a new love.

But we were not safe, not at all. He followed us, he found us, he attacked us. He was angry, he was jealous, he was vengeful. He wanted me back, he wanted you dead, he wanted us both to suffer.

He fought you, he bit you, he drained you. He killed you, he left you, he took me.

He said he loved me, and I felt nothing at all.

Now I am here, back in Honiara, back in his apartment, back in his arms. He says he is sorry, he says he forgives me, he says he still loves me. He says we will never leave, never change, never die. He says we will be happy, forever.

I don't believe him, for I have no choice. He has taken my blood, my life, my soul. He has turned me into a vampire, a creature of the night, a predator of the living. He has made me his, and I cannot resist him.

He is my maker, my master, my mate.

I am his prisoner, his puppet, his pet.

And you are gone, forever.