Chapter 32 - A Christmas to Remember

Start from the beginning

"So it wasn't you beating me, it was some book Hermione gave you."

"Exactly. You taught me how to play chess, but not how to win against you. That's what the book did. It was obviously written by an even better player than you. According to the book, he's been playing in chess tournaments for forty years."

"Forty years, huh?"

"I'm sure that in forty years, you'll be even better than him," assured Hermione.

"I guess," said Ron, somewhat mollified, deciding that it really wasn't Harry who beat him.

-ASM-

Time passed quickly, and Ginny fixed Ron up with a Ravenclaw girl from her year to go to the ball with. Harry decided to send Remus one of the horntail armor suits. On Christmas morning, Ron, Ginny, Neville, Harry, and Hermione planned to open their presents together. The girls were surprised when the boys came down the stairs accompanied by two house elves.

They quickly joined Hermione and Ginny in a corner, and Hermione immediately smiled at the elves. "Happy Christmas, Dobby and Winky. How are you two doing?"

"We is doing good, Miss Grangie," replied Dobby as tears began to fill his eyes. "Dobby knew that you is being a great witch, but never has a witch wished Dobby a happy Christmas before." At that moment, both he and Winky began to bawl.

Ginny spoke up. "Happy Christmas. Now two witches have done it."

Harry went through the presents they'd brought down the stairs and found the two that he'd bought for his elves. Hermione had reminded him to buy them presents the last time they were in Hogsmeade.

"Here's your Christmas present, Dobby." He handed one of the oddly wrapped presents to him. "Here's yours, Winky."

The elves were so overcome with emotion that they barely managed to unwrap their gifts. Dobby, who Harry knew enjoyed making socks, was given enough wool to make himself a hundred more of various colors. Harry was afraid that if he'd actually given Dobby socks he'd be free from their bond. Winky was given a bottle of perfume.

Hermione had also given the elves presents. Each got a different book on the evils of slavery that was written in America around the time of the Civil War. She bought Harry two presents. One was a book called Quidditch Teams of Britain and Ireland. The other was a Rolex that she admitted her parents helped pay for but, "It was my idea." She'd had it charmed to be unbreakable and completely waterproof.

Harry gave Hermione a gold necklace with a sapphire gem. "This matches the earrings you gave me for my birthday!" she exclaimed with a grin.

"I was kind of hoping you'd wear them tonight."

She smiled. "I was already planning to."

Harry then turned to Dobby upon grabbing another present, along with a note. "Dobby, come here. I want you to deliver these two things an hour before the ball."

"Dobby is happy to serve the Great Harry Potter! Who is these going to?"

Harry whispered into the elf's ear who to give the wrapped painting to (along with instructions to take it back during the dance) and who to give the note to.

After Dobby disappeared, Ron asked, "What was that all about?"

Harry grinned. "You'll find out at the dance."

-ASM-

It was an hour before the Yule Ball, and Ron still hadn't met the girl he was escorting to the ball yet. Harry and Hermione did their exercise to stay in shape, but skipped the rest of their training, in favor of enjoying Christmas with their friends. Harry was surprised at how early Hermione had left to prepare for the ball, but decided not to say anything about it. Now all the fourth-year Gryffindor boys were in their dorm putting on their dress robes.