Chapter 26 - The Fourth Champion

Start from the beginning

"But it's the rules of the tournament…" continued Ludo, who appeared disappointed.

"I refuse to participate, and you can't make me!"

At this moment Sirius stood up. "As Harry's guardian, I concur that he cannot participate! He is underage."

Hermione stood up next to Harry and shouted, "Surely there's a magical way to prove that Harry didn't sign that parchment! People die in this tournament!"

A small smile formed on Albus' face as his eyes began twinkling again. "Of course. Come up here, Harry, and I'll perform the test."

As Harry started to walk away from the Gryffindor table, Hermione grabbed his hand. He looked at her, and she smiled at him. "You're not alone," she whispered, as together they walked up toward their headmaster. The other headmasters, as well as the ministry representatives and Sirius Black, joined them as Dumbledore performed a spell on both of Harry's hands, and then the parchment, which glowed red for five seconds.

"Harry Potter did not sign this form," Dumbledore announced happily, "and therefore will not be participating." His face then turned grim as he looked around the hall. "However, whoever entered Mr. Potter's name is required to participate. When something like this happens, either the individual named or the one who wrote the name must participate. Otherwise when the first task ends, the one who wrote the name will die from breaching the magically binding contract."

There was a hush around the hall as everyone looked at each other horrified. No one noticed the culprit's eyes bulge out as sweat began to pour down their face. "Whoever you are, I implore you for your own sake to come forward," the aged headmaster pleaded as he looked around the hall once again. He sighed. "Very well, should you change your mind, speak to either myself or any teacher here. You're all dismissed. Those of you from Hufflepuff should know that Mr. Diggory will be joining you shortly. I'm sure that you will wish to arrange a celebration."

-ASM-

When Harry and Hermione arrived in the Gryffindor Common Room, it was to several disapproving glares.

"Why on earth didn't you want to join the tournament?" asked Seamus.

Lavender added, "Don't you want to represent Gryffindor?"

Ron glared at him more angrily than the rest. "You get handed what everybody else wants and you just refuse it like it was worthless!"

"HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE FORCED INTO A LIFE-THREATENING COMPETITION AGAINST YOUR WILL?" Harry was looking at Ron, but his question was to everyone.

"I guess you're not as brave as we thought," commented Colin Creevey as everyone left them.

"Good night, Hermione," said Harry as he marched toward the boys' staircase, anger very apparent on his face. He didn't notice Neville and Ginny walking toward him to say that they understood.

-ASM-

As Harry lay in bed, mad at the world, he glared at the ceiling until he drifted off to sleep. He didn't remember to clear his mind for Occlumency.

He dreamed that he'd agreed to participate, and almost the whole school was against him anyway. He saw Draco wearing a patch that said 'Support Cedric Diggory, the Real Hogwarts Champion.' Draco was touching the patch before Harry found himself somewhere else entirely.

"WHAT!?" he screamed as he looked at a dark face in a two-way mirror. The person he was speaking to was obviously outside on the starless night, so Harry couldn't identify his face. "How can Potter refuse?"

"M-Master," said the cowardly man in the mirror, who sounded on the verge of tears, "Dumbledore said that I'll die if I don't participate."

"Then bring Potter to me before then! Your bungling has forced me to change my plans, and for that you deserve to die! If you succeed, then I'll consider helping you! Here's what you've got to do…"