She pulled him to a picture of a pyramid in the corner of the room and put her right hand on it and said, "Magnum Opus." The entire wall disappeared, leaving the painting floating in place in mid-air. Several more bookshelves filled with magic books were revealed. Harry noticed a bunch of symbols he didn't recognize written on the newly revealed wall exactly where the extra wall had been.

Hermione explained, "That means, 'good work,' in Latin. I used runes to ward this section of the room off so I wouldn't have to cast any spells. I came up with the password because I thought I'd done a good job. The frame of that painting has some runes on it that allows it to work." She then walked over to one of the bookshelves and grabbed a book. They left and Hermione put her hand on the painting and repeated the same phrase, restoring the wall.

Harry tapped the wall and exclaimed, "It's a normal wall! I expected it to be just an illusion, like the barrier to Platform 9 ¾."

"Well," explained Hermione, "we can't have a guest try to lean on the wall and fall backwards now, can we?"

"I guess not."

-ASM-

Harry read chapter one, while Hermione wrote out her final exam on the subject as she remembered it. Just when they'd both finished up, Hedwig flew in with a letter. After Harry gave her an owl treat, he opened his response from McGonagall.

Dear Mr. Potter,

I can certainly understand your desire to stop studying divination. You will be given the final examination for 3rd year ancient runes on September 1st after the feast. If you pass that examination, you will be accepted in ancient runes. Otherwise, I'm afraid you'll be stuck in divination. I suggest you study hard this summer and enlist the help of Miss Granger.

Sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress, Head of Gryffindor House

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

"Well," commented Harry with a smile, "at least I have a fighting chance."

"I know you'll pass!" assured Hermione, "and then I'll have someone to talk to in that class."

He chuckled for a moment, and then said, "I've just realized that we're dating but we've never been on a date. Would you like to go out to dinner with me tonight?"

Hermione blushed. "Yes, but we'll have to get mum and dad's permission."

They walked downstairs to find the Grangers watching television. "Er, mum, dad. Would it be okay if Harry and I go out to dinner tonight?"

Adam Granger turned and faced them with a stern expression. "Where do you plan on going?"

"Er," replied Harry. "I was gonna let Hermione pick the restaurant since I still don't know the area that well. Although I did notice a fancy restaurant across the street from our Karate school."

"That's a bit expensive," commented Adam.

"That's fine," said Harry, "Believe me sir, I can afford it. We stopped by the wizarding bank the day I got my new clothes and found out that I have a lot more money than I thought. This would be our first date, so I would like to do something special."

"I suppose you'll be taking that Knight Bus there," commented Mrs. Granger.

"Yeah," replied Harry. "It shows up immediately, not like a cab that you have to wait an hour for. I thought we might also watch a movie."

Adam took a deep breath. "Normally, I'd be concerned about Hermione's safety being out at night, but I suppose both of you could protect yourselves a lot better than I could with that magic of yours. As far as Harry goes, if I trust him here alone with you, then I trust him everywhere alone with you. Okay. Don't get into any trouble, and be here by nine o'clock."