chapter 3 - going shopping

Start from the beginning

"I wonder if we can magically clean the outside of the house," commented Harry.

"I wouldn't risk it," replied Hermione. "The charms preventing detection are probably on the inside of the house."

"Maybe we can find a hose to clean the outside with later," suggested Harry, as he reached for the door. As soon as his hand touched the door knocker, which was the shape of a twisted serpent, he heard several loud metallic clicks. He then opened it with no problem, aside from the loud creak.

"The invitation charm!" exclaimed Hermione. When Harry gave her a confused look, she explained, "When that charm is invoked, the door will only unlock for people personally invited by the house's rightful owner. In this case, you were invited by Sirius Black."

They stepped inside and closed the door, which immediately relocked. The first thing they noticed was the smell. It was as though several animals had died in there long ago. It was also dark. Harry pointed his wand up and said, "Lumos Maximus," causing the wand to light up the room.

At the same time, Hermione pointed her wand at the room and cast, "Scourgify!" which caused a large section of the floor to be cleaned up, causing the smell to lessen. While Harry kept his wand lit, Hermione cleaned up the rest of that room. They then saw several old style gas lamps along the wall. Hermione pointed her wand at them and muttered a spell, causing them all to light. Harry put out his wand and looked at the peeling wallpaper and threadbare carpet of a long, gloomy hallway, where a cobweb-covered chandelier glimmered overhead and age-blackened portraits hung on the walls.

"Well, commented Hermione, "I'd suggest we carefully walk through every room, cleaning it and lighting whatever lamps are in it. We've got to be watchful for any dark creatures."

They went through the house slowly and quietly, destroying several boggarts (Hermione's was still Professor McGonagall, but she put Dumbledore's beard on her; Harry's was still a dementor, but he made it blow up like a balloon) and other minor dark creatures. Hermione banished curtains full of doxies, but one of the creatures escaped and flew toward Harry, who backed up and accidentally tripped on a chair that was behind him. Hermione killed the doxie while Harry fell on the floor, causing a loud crash.

"WHO DARES DISTURB THE ANCIENT AND MOST NOBLE HOUSE OF BLACK?" shouted a woman's voice from outside the room. Both teens left in search of the woman, who continued to shriek at them. "Are you plunderers, here to steal the valuable family heirlooms of the great Black Estate? The house elf won't let you escape alive!"

They found that the source of the screaming was a portrait of an old woman. "The house elf isn't here, and we're not thieves!" answered Harry. "Sirius Black invited us, and we're trying to clean up this pigsty!"

"Sirius Black is in Azkaban," replied the painting sadly. "I'm his mother. When he was growing up, I was very disappointed in him, but finally he grew some backbone and helped the Dark Lord. It's too bad he got caught by the ministry. How do you know him?"

"He escaped a year ago, and now he's on the run. He's my godfather. I'm Harry…"

"HARRY POTTER! I SEE THAT SCAR NOW! YOU BANISHED THE DARK LORD! YOU ARE NOT WELCOME IN THIS HOUSE!"

"Hermione, can you get this painting off the wall?"

"WHAT?" asked the angry painting.

"I'll try," replied Hermione, who cast several spells on the painting unsuccessfully, causing the portrait to laugh. Hermione yelled over the noise, "It's got some sort of powerful sticking charm on it, as well as protection from the silencing charm."

Harry then shouted back, "I'm going down to the kitchen!" He turned around and walked away, and Hermione followed. Once they were there, Harry whispered, "Do you remember what Sirius did to the Fat Lady's portrait? I'm going to get a sharp knife and cut the portrait out."