Five

Birds tweeted in the branches of the tree the five were lounging around under with several small groups of students around the courtyard.

Randy swung his arm over Jacqui's shoulders once she sat down. "Alright," Gale said, "let's just assume the killer is repeating Woodsboro—"

"Proven by the name pattern you told me about," Jacqui added. "Maureen Evans: Maureen Prescott, Phil Stevens: Steven Orth, Casey 'Cici' Cooper: Casey Becker, Ramona Arthurs: Arthur Himbry." Jacqui's phone started ringing. "I am so sorry, just one second." She flipped it open and put it to her ear. "Can't talk, food's in the microwave." She flipped the phone shut.

"That doesn't explain Sidney's attack," Dewey said. "She wasn't killed in Woodsboro,"

"Maybe we're going about this the wrong way." Jacqui began. "What if Woodsboro wasn't the end of the film, but — hear me out—"

"The first half of it?" Randy nodded as he finished. "The killer's trying to finish what was started."

"Sidney's under protection, right?" Gale asked.

Jacqui nodded. "Yeah. She has these two officers following her everywhere." She laughed and nodded. "I'm starting to get the feeling they're annoyed with me, this morning I— ACHOO!" Jacqui covered her mouth as she sneezed, a very high-pitched and mousy sneeze at that. "Shit, allergy season."

"Bless you." Randy murmured, earning a small 'thank you' from her.

"Hey! Jacqui sneezes like a little white girl!" Joel joked with a wide smile.

"Oh yeah? And how about I pound you like a big black man?!" Jacqui threatened, slamming her fist down on her knee before her eyebrows creased together and her guard went down, all this happening very quickly. "Wait, that didn't come out right."

"Why don't you leave her alone with her little baby sneezes?" Gale scolded Joel, clearly teasing Jacqui's.

"Stop defending me, you're not my mother!" Jacqui defensively replied before sighing as Randy patted her on the back. "I'm sorry, guys, all this murder stuff is frying my brai—" Jacqui's phone started ringing again, so she opened it and put it back to her ear. "What do you want, you fucking troll?" She snapped in annoyance, then she realized who it was and her eyes widened. "No, Mom, I didn't— I thought— well, I was just talking about you, yeah—" she heard a buzzing and looked back at her screen to see her mom hung up on her. "Fucking dammit." Jacqui angrily murmured as Gale put a cigarette in her mouth and blew out a puff of smoke.

"When'd she start smoking?" Dewey asked the others.

"Ever since those nude pictures on the internet," Randy replied.

Jacqui chuckled a bit. "Oh yeah, I was very active in media during that."

"It was just my head," Gale defended. "It was Jennifer Aniston's body." Jacqui's jaw dropped. "Anyway, you're forgetting something. In Woodsboro, there were victims before the homestretch. Tatum, my camera man, Himbry—"

"Time out!" Joel said. "See, I don't need to be hearing about no dead camera men, all right?"

Jacqui turned to him. "You'll be fine, his death was quick." Joel was taken aback by her horrible reassurance.

He shook his head and pointed to Jacqui, but looked at Gale. "See? That is what I'm talking about. I am warning you guys. I am a verb away from vacatin' these premises. I'm gonna get me some coffee, donuts, Prozac, see if I can find some crack, Special K 'X,' not Malcom, and I'll be back when you guys start talking about something a little more Saved By the Bell-ish, all right?" He stood up and walked away.