"Talk to me, pretty." Madelyn pleaded. 

Gracie shook her head.

"Do you need some space?" Madelyn asked.

Gracie nodded.

Madelyn stood up and walked to the door. "Ok, I'm here when you're ready." 

She left the room and went back to the kitchen.

Madelyn felt bad. She was overthinking and assumed she did something wrong. She had no idea why Gracie would be this upset over a simple conversation. Madelyn knew that Gracie got overwhelmed easily, but something like this hadn't happened before.

There was no sign of Gracie an hour later. Madelyn went back to the bedroom and peeked behind the door where she saw Gracie sleeping. She sat down next to her and lightly rubbed her back. Gracie stirred but didn't wake up. Madelyn stayed in that position for a little bit longer before leaving the room again.

She took Weenie for a walk and when she came back, Gracie was sitting on the couch.

"You're up." Madelyn said quietly.

"Hi." Gracie replied.

"Are you ok?" She asked.

"Not really." Gracie replied.

"What's the matter?" Madelyn said as she sat down on the couch.

Gracie chuckled. "You can come closer, Maddie." She said, noticing how much space Madelyn gave her.

Madelyn scooched in closer to her and rested her hand on Gracie's thigh. 

Gracie took a deep breath. "Sorry I yelled at you this morning."

"It's ok."

"No. It's not. I was being mean, I'm sorry. You didn't deserve to be treated that way." Gracie said.

Madelyn moved some of Gracie's hair behind her ear and gave her a gentle smile. "Thanks for saying that. Did something happen?"

"I've just been feeling really anxious this week. I didn't mean to take it out on you. I'm sorry." Gracie said.

"Babe, stop apologizing. I forgive you, it's ok. But I'm sorry you're feeling that way, what's causing the anxiety?" Madelyn replied as she rubbed Gracie's leg.

"I think I'm having like an OCD flare up or something. My intrusive thoughts have been bad."

Madelyn nodded. "Are you pulling?" Referencing the hair pulling, one of Gracie's OCD compulsions. 

Gracie looked away and began to cry again. Madelyn knew these emotions arose because Gracie was pulling her hair out and doing other compulsions. Gracie always expressed guilt and shame about these behaviors, even though they weren't her fault.

"Hey, shh." Madelyn cooed while putting her arms around Gracie.

Gracie cried and sniffled for a few minutes, unable to look at Madelyn.

"Take a deep breath." Madelyn instructed. Gracie did as she said. "Another one." Madelyn said.

They took deep breaths together until Gracie calmed down.

"Do you want to tell me more about it?" Madelyn asked, wiping away Gracie's tears.

"I don't know, I feel like this happens every once in a while. I just have to wait for it to pass. I'll probably feel shitty for a couple days." Gracie replied.

"I'm sorry you're experiencing this. Is there anything I can do to help you reset?" Madelyn asked.

Gracie shrugged. "Can we stay home for a few days before we go to Charleston? I think I need to chill out for a bit."

"Of course. Anything you need. If you're not feeling up for it, we don't have to go to my parents." Madelyn replied.

"No, I want to." Gracie said.

"I know. I just want you to know that it's ok to back out. Your health is the priority here, you won't hurt my feelings if you say no." Madelyn said.

"Well, I'm saying yes." Gracie replied.

"Are you sure? You don't have to decide right now." 

"I'm sure." Gracie said.

They both smiled and Gracie leaned over to give Madelyn a kiss.

"I love you. Thank you for supporting me." Gracie said.

"I love you too. I'm here for you, through everything." Madelyn replied.

They hugged and laid on each other for a while, enjoying one another's presence. 

"Promise me you'll take it easy this week and come to me if you're not feeling good?" Madelyn asked.

"Promise." Gracie said as Madelyn kissed her cheek.

"Ugh, you're so gorgeous." She said.

"Says you." Gracie joked as they squeezed each other. 

•   •   •   •