Technicalities

"Okay, controls seem pretty standard...which is strange. You're a Krill model, aren't you?"

"Ah, and there I thought you were a complete airhead. You're right, my base model was a Krill design. Before I became me, Master Sigma stole me from the Enlightened. However, over the years, he heavily modified me to be more useful for his cause."
"But...how did he even get his hands on you? As far as I know, a Krill spaceship can't be operated without a symbiont."
"Beats me, I'm afraid. As I said, that was before I first opened my eyes."
"Okay, doesn't matter. Anyway...what kinda armaments do you have? You do have weapons, right?"
"Sure do. I've got a standard, low output energy blaster, which Master Sigma lovingly named 'The pea shooter'. It has unlimited ammo, since the projectiles are generated by the generator which also supplies my other functions. Then there's a missile launcher and a bomb release hatch. Furthermore I have been equipped with a torpedo bay and..."
"Wow, you're awfully well equipped. But...erm...sorry to ask this, but these people don't hit me as the kinda people who are able to manufacture bombs, missiles or torpedos...where do you get the ammo from?"

Esperanza remained silent for a few moments and then asked, "Are you familiar with the theory behind energy to matter conversion?"
"Yeah, E2M generators have been in use for a few decades already. So...you're generating the ammo on the fly? Now that's...waiiit, that can't be right. You're pulling my leg!"
"Oh and why would you think that?"
"Because E2M-generators are freaking huge! They are only used on ships of the Cruiser class and bigger and you're a fighter!"
"You...are very knowledgeable about these things. I may have misjudged you."
Simon waved off, "Meh, it's just a hobby of mine. So spill it, cause no way you've got a generator powerful enough to supply an E2M!"
"As it so happens, I do. Master Sigma was a Genius and well ahead of Earth's technology."

Simon groaned and then asked, "Ok, and where exactly did he get the tools and materials to build this stuff from? Because if the rest of the world is like this village, he was seriously lacking those two and qualified manpower. I mean, outfitting a regular fighter takes an entire crew and you're custom made. No way he did all of that by himself. He must've had help."
"I never claimed he didn't. He had a number of trustworthy and valuable friends who assisted him in his battle and I strongly suggest you get some for yourself. Otherwise, this endeavor is doomed to fail."

Simon pinched the bridge of his nose as he remembered the strange girl he came here with, pondering if she would be able to help him, but discarded the idea. She was more of a hazard than a help, though she most definitely had her perks, as Simon had already learned in the brief time he had known her.

"A penny for your thoughts," Esperanza's voice sounded through the speakers.
"Nobody uses 'Pennies' anymore. Not for a few hundred years now."
"Just a saying. Don't you use those any more either?"
"...we do...hey, that reminds me. When you greeted me, you told me that 'her gaze is on me'. What did you mean by that?"
"I...think we need to save this explanation for another time. Don't worry, we'll have more than enough time to chat. For now, we need to act. The dome of light is growing weaker by the moment."

A little ticked off, Simon sighed, "Okay, I've got it, you're the secretive type. Anything else I need to know?"
"Yes, most of my advanced functions are sealed, including most of my weapon systems. At the moment, I only have the pea shooter and my basic movement systems available."
"...pardon, could you say that again? Did you just tell me that you've got bombs and missiles and torpedos and probably a whole bunch more, but I can't use them?"
"That sums it up, yes."
Simon drummed on the console with his fingers for a few seconds and then asked, "And?"
"And what?"
"There has to be a reason for that, right? I mean, you don't cripple a fighter for no good reason."
"As it so happens, there is. And the reason is sitting in my pilot seat."
"Wait, I'm the reason?! What's that supposed to mean?!"

Esperanza remained silent for a few moments and then began, "You asked me, how I am able to generate enough energy to operate the E2M, right?"
"Yeah."
"By using my pilot. In other words, you."

Simon shot up from the seat and was just about out of the piloting capsule, when Esperanza shouted, "Don't worry, I'm not going to turn you into some sort of cyborg or integrate you into my body!"
Simon stopped on the wing, looked back and hissed, "Sure sounded like it! I've heard a few things about these kind of systems!"

A strange sound, which sounded like a sigh, echoed through the speakers before she explained, "Do you know anything about psionics?"
Simon thought about the question for a few moments and then replied, "Only that the AEF tried to tap into the supposed psionic potential of their soldiers to even the odds during the war, however the experiments failed. Why, what do you mean?"
"Because you are a Psionian. Only a just about average one, but still."
"A...what? Look, I really don't think..."
"I measured your psionic emissions while you were sitting in the seat, there's absolutely no mistaking it. You're a Psionian. You...have never experienced any sort of psionic phenomenon?
"No! Are you sure that your instruments aren't broken?"
"Absolutely positive. Anyway...by drawing from your energy pool, I can generate almost unlimited amounts of energy, more than enough to operate the E2M and a number of other advanced functions. However, as you are right now, you aren't releasing enough energy for me to use it for anything but my most basic functions."
"Okay...I really don't get it, I hope you don't mind."
"No, that's okay. It's a very complex process, I would be surprised, if you'd get it from the get go."
"So, essentially, we're stuck with your basic functions until we find a better 'power bank'?"
"Essentially, yes. However there will be no better 'power bank'. As I said, you are on an average level right now. However, if I interpret these readings and especially your statement that you've never experienced any sort of psionic event before, I can only assume that the Enlightened unlocked your potential."

"They did...okay, no you lost me completely. Why would they do that?"
"Because they needed to check whether you have what they need in a specimen. If the procedure is successful, they clone you and kill the original. If it isn't, it kills you."
"And...if you know all that...what makes you so sure, that I'm the original and not a clone?"

A cackling noise emerged from the speakers and Esperanza explained, "Multiple reasons. For one, you're not wearing black, like all of their clones do. For another, you're not emitting the radio signal, they use for communicating. And finally I checked your DNA. You're missing the typical DNA markers that's common to all their clones. This alteration keeps them obedient."
"And...if they don't obey?"
"Death."

"Okay, you want me to hate them? Congratulations, I like them less by the minute...but what about that psionic watchamacallit?"
"If my assumption is correct, you have only just awakened as a psionian. And seeing how you're already emitting an average level of psionic energy now, I imagine that your potential is a lot larger than the average."
"And...how do I...level up?" Simon asked, thinking, 'I so didn't say that just now, did I?'
"Over time and with practice. However I also have bad news in that regard."
"I'll go bald and die a horrifying death, vomiting blood and all that stuff?"
"That, I cannot say. However, Master Sigma often complained about nausea and vertigo. I'm afraid it's a rather common side effect of psionic phenomena."
"Well good, then I won't have that problem, because I won't be using it."
"In that case, you'll be stuck with the peashooter and you won't be able to use Master Sigma's best weapon at all. Simply put, you will fail."

Simon exhaled deeply, "...anything else, I should know?"
"No, I think we're through with the technicalities. Ready for your mission briefing?"
"...as ready as I'm going to be..." Simon lamented, still trying to figure out whether Esperanza was telling the truth or if it was pulling his leg.