9 : Losing Control

Start from the beginning

"It's the real estate. They sent a letter for my mother to vacate the house."

"What do you mean? You always send money to your family. What's happening?" Danielle asked, confused.

Karina approached, realizing that the subject was serious.

"I don't know. The rents are overdue. They want to take them from there, Dani." I grumbled, throwing the letter on top of the counter.

Ever since my father left us, I was responsible for helping my family get out of the misery in which we found ourselves in. And thanks to Lily and 'Imperium', I was able to put back together everything we lost because of Hyunseung's gambling addiction. But for a few months now, the payment of the house where Hye Kyo and my little sister Eun Chae lived in, was overdue. For some reason I hadn't yet discovered. I've been working for years to be able to maintain the life that they deserved, to now have the money simply vanish, without explanation.

"That's really weird, Hanni. You should go talk to your mother and find out what is going on." Karina said, sitting beside me and making a light caress on my arm.

"She doesn't want to see me, Rina. Or have you forgotten that she thinks I'm a prostitute?"

"But you aren't, and you have to go see her and find out what is happening. Your mother could be evicted, does she understand that?"

"I don't know why you keep financially supporting that woman after everything she did." I heard Danielle's serious voice.

"She's still my mother, Dani..."

The day I returned home after having met Lily at the coffee shop, my mother was immensely happy with the opportunity that I had gotten. A job was everything I needed at that moment. For a few months I was able to hide that I was a dancer at a striptease club, my mother believed that I worked as Lily's personal assistant, so everything was perfectly fine. Until the day I returned to my dressing room and saw Hye Kyo there, sitting on one of the chairs; I had just danced sensually for half a dozen men that were celebrating a bachelor party.

"So that's what you do for a living? You're a whore?!"

I remember feeling all the blood in my body stop at the sight of her look of hatred towards me.

"Mom... it-it's... not what you're thinking." I tried to explain myself.

"No? Because I know what I saw! You being a slut on that stage, Hanni! Look at those clothes!" She exclaimed as she pulled the little dress I was wearing that night.

"You can't talk to me like that! It's from here that comes the money that took you out of misery." I blurted out without thinking.

"Well, keep your dirty money, you bitch! What example do you want to give your sister? Selling your body to any man that waves money at you!"

Her words were way worse than a thousand slaps. I would rather take a beating from that woman than listen to what was coming out of her mouth.

"You are disgusting. And to think that you had a decent job with that woman... When in fact, she's a pimp and you're a whore!"

"I'm not a prostitute, mother. I only... dance."

She let out a mocking laugh, causing a shudder to go through my body.

"You danced like a whore on that stage, Hanni. How much do they pay you to take you to bed? Huh? I can't have a daughter like that, I am ashamed of having a daughter like that."

The shouting was probably heard everywhere, because soon enough I saw Danielle entering my dressing room with a startled expression.

"What's happening?" She looked worriedly in my direction.